This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update wants to remove Kubuntu Desktop-Dolphin-etc

So this update appears today with Firefox 30, Flash plugin, some unmarked libav libraries & a generically named Multimedia player, server, encoder.
    When you mark all the unmarked packages, the list shows it will REMOVE: kdenlive, ffmpeg, kipiplugins, libk3b6-extracodecs, kubuntu-desktop, dolphin, vlc, digikam & 27 other libs/utilities/apps.

I am so glad I read the list. Why would it remove Kubuntu desktop? or Dolphin? Am I misunderstanding what Muon wants to update?
    Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Try updating the package lists again, and if it offers unmarked packages, skip marking them.
    Likely, there are some packages still being propagated to the mirrors, and some are not yet on yours, or (less likely) a PPA or third-party package you may have is causing a conflict with official packages.

If you are still unsure, try running the commands in a terminal, which will give better info:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    And post any output before proceeding

Comment

claydoh, I just left everything alone for a day and the next time Muon did an update check, the updates changed behavior. It showed 12 updates and they were already marked when I opened Update Manager. It did not prompt me to mark any unmarked upgrades. It was all normal. No weird packages, alerts or any odd messages from Mars.

I suspect you were right that a PPA & a mirror were the issue. I have never had that happen before, very odd. I really appreciate your help and insight. Thankfully Kubuntu fixed itself.
      Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Comment

Originally posted by citizen View Post
        Thankfully Kubuntu fixed itself.
        FWIW, it's happened to my system a few times over the years. Usually waiting a while is the fix, but twice (since Hardy) I've fixed things by firing up aptitude, which Steve Reilly has said has a slightly different "solver", IIRC.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          fixed things by firing up aptitude, which Steve Reilly has said has a slightly different "solver", IIRC.
          Yes, I've encountered similar occasions over the years. Odd corner cases in which apt-get can't sort out what to do, or wants to do something differently that what I'd expect and prefer. Aptitude not only figures it out, but also presents you with options. I've ditched the GUI tools and use Aptitude exclusively on my machines. I'll still defer to apt-get (and the newer apt) here on the forum, because (1) Aptitude isn't installed by default on *buntu anymore and (2) it has a learning curve that not everyone wants or needs.

Some good discussion about the differences here: http://superuser.com/questions/93437...ht-tool-to-use

Comment

Working...
          X