X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing up gmail on my hard drive

Hello all,

I am slowly moving out of gmails deathgrip. I have started to use 'startmail' and once their full service is up I am going to switch. I would like to back up my emails from gmail just in case I do need them and back them up on dropbox.

I am looked in getmail but it is too complicated for me, can someone recommend another way to do this? If I set up kmail can I then same mail to a pre determined folder?

Any suggestions?

THank you

Not sure about Kmail, but you likely could do that.

I fire up Thunderbird once a month or so and let it sync my Gmail account via IMAP. I suppose you could also pull it down via POP.

Comment

Backing up gmail on my hard drive

You could also create a local folder in Kmail or Thunderbird and backup that way if you already have IMAP setup. This takes the email off the off the server unless you just copy to the local folder. It might be more convenient if you can find a way to sync.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic

Comment

See Working with gmail to learn how to add gmail to KMail.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok I will try kmail and update. Has anyone tried startmail?

Comment

Does anyone know to create a file on my harddrive? I want to have a backup on my computer to access emails offline once I get ride of gmail.

I have kmail installed now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stosskraft View Post
              Does anyone know to create a file on my harddrive? I want to have a backup on my computer to access emails offline once I get ride of gmail.
              Sign in to your google account.
              Click the options icon (an eight-toothed gear at top right).
              Click "Google Account settings", "Data tools", "Select data to download", "Create an archive".
              Check Mail, uncheck the others, click Create Archive.
              Wait; it says "We will email you when the archive is ready to download".

Regards, John Little
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
              X