This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe Acrobat Reader cannot find libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0

Just did a from scratch fresh install of 12.04 64 bit on my old Core-2 Duo desktop machine. Went to the Adobe site and got AdbeRdr9.4.7-1_i486linux_enu.bin. I set it to be executable, and ran it as

sudo AdbeRdr9.4.7-1_i486linux_enu.bin

Installation went fine to /opt, which is the default.

Entry put into the Kmenu, as it should.

Trying to run from the menu, produces nothing.

Trying to run from a terminal shows:

Code:
    frank@office:~$ /opt/Adobe/Reader9/bin/acroread
    dirname: missing operand
    Try `dirname --help' for more information.
    /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading shared libraries: libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    frank@office:~$ mlocate libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0.2600.1
    frank@office:~$
    mlocate shows that libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0 is there, but it seems that acroread cannot find it.

Before downloading and installing the .bin file, I tried installing from the DEB file, but got a warning of wrong architecture, as it was an i386 DEB file. I cancelled that install. Previous installations of 12.04 that I have had on this machine were 32 bit. This time, I installed Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit. Therefore, after getting the warning of wrong architecture, I thought that the i486 .bin file might be a better choice.

Suggestions?

I also tried installing from the .bin file again, but chose /usr as the installation directory. No change.

I do not see Acrobat reader in the repository, nor even a link to it like for nVidia drivers.

I use Acrobat Reader as I can't seem to copy and paste text from PDF's in Ocular so that I can use the text in a word processor. I can from the Adobe Reader product.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
    I use Acrobat Reader as I can't seem to copy and paste text from PDF's in Ocular so that I can use the text in a word processor. I can from the Adobe Reader product.
    Frank.
    I can't help directly with your problem, but I can cut and paste text selections from Ocular just fine. Are there issues with preserving formatting that are giving you problems?
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

it's a 32 bit app on your 64 bit system ,,,,,,,it is probably looking for "libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0" in "/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/" where on a 64 bit system it is in
      "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/"

I think if you enable the "partners" repo in muon/synaptic you can find it.

or you could try making the DIR /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ and linking the libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0 from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ to their.

VINNY
      Last edited by vinnywright; Apr 05, 2014, 05:23 PM.
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

dequire:

but I can cut and paste text selections from Ocular just fine.
        Yeah, I found that out after I had posted my query. I may well switch to Ocular, as Acrobat has stability problems on my laptop (32 bit) when more than one tab is open.

Thanks for responding.

Frank.

Comment

Vinny:

it's a 32 bit app on your 64 bit system ,,,,,,,it is probably looking for "libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0" in "/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/" where on a 64 bit system it is in
          "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/"

I think if you enable the "partners" repo in muon/synaptic you can find it.
          That makes sense. I had wondered about it, but was not sure how to edit Acrobat's settings.

In any case, by enabling the Canonical Partners repo, yes, acroread is there. I will install it from there.

Question: I installed from the .bin file twice -- once to /usr and once to /opt. Been a long time since I did a manual uninstall. IIRC, all I have to do is delete any of the directories in /opt or /usr that relate to acrobat, edit the menu, and I'm done, right?

Thanks.

Frank.

Comment

Vinny:
            Question: I installed from the .bin file twice -- once to /usr and once to /opt. Been a long time since I did a manual uninstall. IIRC, all I have to do is delete any of the directories in /opt or /usr that relate to acrobat, edit the menu, and I'm done, right?

Thanks.

Frank.
            the .bin may have an uninstall option IDK I never used it.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny:

There is a directory in both /opt/Adobe and /usr/Adobe (where I ran the install from the bin file) that contains the uninstall script. It was as easy as opening a root instance of Dolphin (kdesudo dolphin), navigating to the script, and double clicking it. Gone.

Frank.

Comment

Vinny:

That makes sense. I had wondered about it, but was not sure how to edit Acrobat's settings.

In any case, by enabling the Canonical Partners repo, yes, acroread is there. I will install it from there.

Thanks.

Frank.

Just in case anyone else stumbles across this thread, you can run the following to get Adobe reader working on a 64bit maching.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Comment

silverark:

Thanks for that information. Would have saved me some fooling around.

Kinda disappointing that there is no 64 bit version of Acrobat for Linux.

Frank.

Comment

No ia32libs

Originally posted by silverark View Post
                    Just in case anyone else stumbles across this thread, you can run the following to get Adobe reader working on a 64bit maching.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
                    Not in Ubuntu or it's derivatives: since they went multiarch, ia32libs is deprecated and no longer available in the repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by alpreston View Post
                      Not in Ubuntu or it's derivatives: since they went multiarch, ia32libs is deprecated and no longer available in the repositories.
                      Sorry, but in this case is sure does exist This is the 12.04 forum, so the fix is still valid here.

Comment

Working...
                      X