X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No recent updates to 12.04 LTS??

Hi all,

The updates to my system seem to have come to screeching halt since 31st January. Neither the automatic update mechanism or my running the update manager (Muon or apt-get update in a terminal) manually have indicated any updates whatsoever since the beginning of this month.

Is it just me or haven't there been any updates lately?

I have been playing around with my network settings recently to get internet connection sharing working and I have set up an old router to connect my two PC's together with a possibility to add others when required. I also have apt-cacher-ng installed as well. But even after disabling and disconnecting the router and stopping and disabling apt-cacher-ng from interfering with the process I still don't have any updates coming through. I don't get any errors occurring with the update process and the index files seem to be updating correctly (although there is a large gap from 31st Jan to 21st Feb with only a Jitsi ppa update on 6th Feb).

Compared to a year ago there were updates coming through just about every day in February. I know this is an LTS release so the updates will slow down but the sudden update famine seems odd to me.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

BTW, I did try changing to another update server briefly but that didn't seem to make any difference either. My usual update server is nz.archive.ubuntu.com.
    Last edited by Rod J; Feb 22, 2014, 05:42 PM. Reason: typo
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Hi Rod, My update server is us.archive.ubuntu.com. Here are the recent updates I received and installed by date. (We probably have different packages installed, but most of these were security updates.)

February 1st
      The following packages will be upgraded:
      libotr2
      1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

February 3rd
      curl dkms jockey-common jockey-kde libcurl3 libcurl3-gnutls python-apt python-apt-common
      8 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

February 5th
      flashplugin-installer libperl5.14 perl perl-base perl-modules
      5 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

February 11th
      firefox firefox-globalmenu libgadu3
      3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

February 13th
      ffmpeg libav-tools libavcodec-extra-53 libavdevice53 libavfilter2 libavformat53 libavutil-extra-51 libpostproc52 libswscale2
      9 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

February 18th
      The following NEW packages will be installed:
      linux-headers-3.2.0-59 linux-headers-3.2.0-59-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-59-generic-pae linux-image-3.2.0-59-generic-pae
      linux-generic-pae linux-headers-generic linux-headers-generic-pae linux-image linux-image-generic-pae linux-libc-dev linux-source
      linux-source-3.2.0
      8 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

February 20th
      firefox firefox-globalmenu flashplugin-installer jockey-common jockey-kde kde-config-touchpad thunderbird thunderbird-globalmenu
      8 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks life0riley,

That is useful info, some of those packages are definitely on my installation too, so should have been updated. I knew there was a firefox update to v27 in the pipeline (I'm still on v26) so I think that is a definite indication of some problem at my end. Also, I'm still on the 3.2.0.-58 kernel.

I think I will try changing to another update server and see what happens.

Comment

OK, I've just had a look at the update index via my browser on the http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...cise-security/ and compared it with the corresponding U.S. server http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...cise-security/ and there does seem to be a problem with the dates of the entries for the N.Z. server (stuck on 29-31st Jan). Maybe this isn't the right way to do this, I don't know:

http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...cise-security/

Index of /ubuntu/dists/precise-security
          [ICO] Name Last modified Size
          [DIR] Parent Directory -
          [ ] Contents-amd64.gz 29-Jan-2014 17:58 12M
          [ ] Contents-i386.gz 29-Jan-2014 18:01 14M
          [ ] Release 31-Jan-2014 01:00 48K
          [ ] Release.gpg 31-Jan-2014 01:00 198
          [DIR] main/ 30-Nov-2012 19:03 -
          [DIR] multiverse/ 25-Apr-2012 09:35 -
          [DIR] restricted/ 25-Apr-2012 09:35 -
          [DIR] universe/ 25-Apr-2012 09:35 -
          Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) Server at nz.archive.ubuntu.com Port 80

http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...cise-security/

Index of /ubuntu/dists/precise-security
          [ICO] Name Last modified Size
          [DIR] Parent Directory -
          [ ] Contents-amd64.gz 19-Feb-2014 05:11 13M
          [ ] Contents-i386.gz 19-Feb-2014 05:19 16M
          [ ] Release 20-Feb-2014 21:32 48K
          [ ] Release.gpg 20-Feb-2014 21:32 198
          [DIR] main/ 30-Nov-2012 06:03 -
          [DIR] multiverse/ 24-Apr-2012 21:35 -
          [DIR] restricted/ 24-Apr-2012 21:35 -
          [DIR] universe/ 24-Apr-2012 21:35 -
          Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at us.archive.ubuntu.com Port 80

So, I believe there must be something wrong the the local N.Z. server ... correct? If so, is there anything I can do to report the error or leave it until they fix it themselves? Meanwhile I will switch to another server and see how it goes.

Comment

Did switching to another server help? I'm curious. What do you get when you type sudo apt-get update in the terminal?
            sigpic

Comment

Yes, all updated now since I changed to the U.S. server. The local server definitely has a problem it seems ... I've been checking via Firefox today and it is still stuck on 31st January. All Ubuntu distros seem to be affected including Trusty. On the same server Debian has been updated to Feb 25 though.

When I was using my local server the sudo apt-get update/upgrade would complete normally and show no updates available (which I guess is quite what to expect when the server itself isn't up to date).

I should probably mark this thread as solved as the problem seems to be in the local server. I hope they fix it soon as I have converted a couple of laptops for people recently (now running Kubuntu 12.04 as the only OS) and I may need to change the update server on them before too long.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                ... All Ubuntu distros seem to be affected including Trusty...
                Well, that's a worry.

My sources.list points at http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ for saucy and I thought updates have been coming normally, but it appears that I also had http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu which would give the security updates. On the Settings K menu I started "Software and Updates" (which is /usr/bin/software-properties-gtk) and it had download from "Server for New Zealand". Out of curiosity, I clicked the drop box and selected "Other..." and it showed a choice of 5 servers. I clicked the "Select Best Server"
                button and it spent a few minutes "testing" and chose mirror.xnet.co.nz as the best (I expected mirror.ihug.co.nz, as Vodafone is my ISP and they bought ihug), and it changed my sources.list to point to that. However, it has the same file dates as nz.archive.ubuntu.com. I've changed to the "main server" and now I'm told there's 194 updates.

Someone should be told, I think. Can anyone tell me where to start? Canonical? The owner of nz.archive.ubuntu.com?

Regards, John Little
                Regards, John Little

Comment

I dropped a note on a local forum (geekzone) and an admin for one of the mirrors (ihug) responded in a few minutes, and someone else an hour later. One mirror (ucmirror.canterbury.co.nz) I found was current.

Regards, John Little
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks John,

I had a look at your post on Geekzone. Hopefully someone will fix it soon. Otherwise, I guess the servers across the ditch ( = Australia for all you non-downunder people) would be the next best bet long term I think.

Regards, Rod Jamieson.

Comment

Regarding who to get in touch with I found this page helpful: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+mirror...tu.com-archive

It's odd that all the links on that page state "Up to date" when clearly they aren't.

I've sent an email via Launchpad to Mr Jones as he seems to be the man in charge. Will see what happens (soon I hope).

Comment

Just had a quick look at http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com and it appears to have been updated. Hope it stays fixed now. I will switch back to that update server if it looks like it's going to be stable again.

Comment

Working...
                        X