This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

software not quiting

i've noticed a rather bizzare issue this weekend. which leads me to believe that this is also causing my sound issues. what happens with sound is that what seem a wrong driver is loaded on boot. i can reload the modules and then it starts working. sometimes. other times it is as if the correct chip is occupied (like something is running it). so the solution is to go to system settings -.> multimedia where it says that the sound card is not loaded. power off computer, pull out the cord and replug it back in. it's as if some charge is left in chip that reserves it. i saw this occasionally on a really old DOS maschine with certain games.

so back to this week. my son is browsing and exploring the KDE (it seems i need to create a separate account for him). he is just opening aplicaitons asking me what is this what does this do. and when i tell him he closes them. so the bizzare thing that happened is that on reboot or boot same applications he closed before returned. i thought ok so he didn't quit and i quit them and reboot. again same aplications are loaded. i understand that KDE loads the applications that were previously in use. but i've definitely quit them and there they are running. time to get more drastic. i killed them. reboot and again they popped up. this time i killed them, turned off computer, turned off the electricity and then turn everything back on. sure enough this time aplications stayed off.

the application he ran and wouldn't close/quit were: Kmail, kontakt, korganizer and Amarok. additionally Apache LAMP server is configured NOT to run on startup yet lately this is being ignored. and it just starts up. i think i might need to remove it. i used it for some website testing, but using tunkey in virtualbox might be a better idea. hard to say... any ideas what is going on?

Look as System Settings >>Startup and Shutdown >> Session Management. Select "start with Empty Session", and see if that helps

Comment

Applications part solved.

Sound issue is sadly not related :-(

waiting for 14.04 i guess and hope it will be resolved in that one. it actualyl worked perfectly in 12.04 until certain update broke it.

Comment

Working...
      X