X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-lts-saucy

Hi,

I'm on 12.04.4 and when I issue sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-lts-saucy it warns me that the following

kde-window-manager kde-workspace kubuntu-desktop libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-drivers libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa
    libgles2-mesa libkwinglesutils1 libkwinglutils1abi1 libkwinglutils1abi3 libopenvg1-mesa libxatracker1 virtualbox-guest-x11 xserver-xorg
    xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
    xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-r128 xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-vesa

packages are going to be deleted, which doesn't look right to me (especially the kde-window-manager kde-workspace kubuntu-desktop part of it).
    I also have kubuntu-ppa/ppa and kubuntu-ppa/backports, which I guess might be causing this.
    Is there a workaround for it?
    This Kubuntu setup has been working for me flawlessly from the very time it got released and I'd rather not to break it.

Thanks,
    Andrew

It may not look right to you but what it says is accurate. You are trying to install a kernel matched to Saucy into Precise. The msg is telling you everything that must be replaced in order for the new kernel to work properly. The proper "work-around", IMO, is to do a dist-upgrade from Precise to Saucy, or better yet, install Saucy from a LiveCD and replace Precise. A fresh install always gives a cleaner upgrade than any other method. That's how I moved from Precise to (eventually) Trusty Tahr, which is a fantastic version that uses the 3.13.x kernel.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      is to do a dist-upgrade from Precise to Saucy,
      A "dist-upgrade" dose not take you from Precise to Saucy .

was it going to remove or replace all those packages ?

I use "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" on a regular basis to run off my updates.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I don't think that KDE gets into way of the new kernel.
        The only explanation I can think of is that KDE depends on old X, which is supposed to be removed because the new X is going to be installed instead and the old X is what my KDE depends on.
        I'd expect the new X to satisfy KDE's dependency on X, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
        dist-upgrade from Precise to Saucy is not an option, because this path never worked for me in the past (it failed maybe 2 or 3 upgrades and I had to do a fresh install).
        I guess it doesn't work because of the backports I have installed, which confuse the dependency solver.
        Last edited by letrec; Feb 12, 2014, 10:57 PM. Reason: fixed typos

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          It may not look right to you but what it says is accurate. You are trying to install a kernel matched to Saucy into Precise.
          Jerry, letrec is trying to install the LTS Enablement Stack, which provides newer kernels and X packages. This is not the same thing as a distribution upgrade.

Originally posted by letrec View Post
          I'm on 12.04.4 and when I issue sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-lts-saucy it warns me that the following packages are going to be deleted
          Try this:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-lts-saucy libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-saucy
          Your previous attempts omitted Mesa, which is necessary.

Comment

SteveRiley, you are right, I'm trying to install the LTS Enablement Stack.
            Issuing the command you advised promts to delete the following

kde-window-manager kde-workspace kubuntu-desktop libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-drivers libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa
            libgles2-mesa libkwinglesutils1 libkwinglutils1abi1 libkwinglutils1abi3 libopenvg1-mesa libxatracker1 virtualbox-guest-x11 xserver-xorg
            xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
            xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-r128 xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-vesa

packages. I guess it is going to break my KDE if I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by letrec View Post
              SteveRiley, you are right, I'm trying to install the LTS Enablement Stack.
              Issuing the command you advised promts to delete the following

packages. I guess it is going to break my KDE if I agree.
              again I will ask ,,,,,,,,is it JUST going to remove all that ,,,,,,,or replace?

post the output from the terminal ,,,,,,ALL of it .

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Yeah, this one is stumping me, too. We need to see everything that's in the terminal from when you typed the command up to the point where apt-get asks if you want to proceed.

Comment

Here is the whole output:

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-lts-saucy libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-saucy [1]
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                  libfolderarchive4 kde-config-pimactivity libpimactivity4 kmail
                  Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
                  The following extra packages will be installed:
                  libdrm-nouveau2 libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-saucy libglamor-ltss0 libglapi-mesa-lts-saucy libllvm3.3 libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 libxatracker1-lts-saucy
                  libxrandr-ltss2 linux-headers-3.11.0-17 linux-headers-3.11.0-17-generic linux-headers-generic-lts-saucy linux-image-3.11.0-17-generic
                  linux-image-generic-lts-saucy x11-xserver-utils-lts-saucy xserver-common-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-core-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-input-evdev-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-input-mouse-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-input-wacom-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-cirrus-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-fbdev-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-intel-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-video-mach64-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-mga-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-modesetting-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-neomagic-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-r128-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-radeon-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-video-s3-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-savage-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-sis-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-video-sisusb-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-tdfx-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-trident-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-vesa-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-video-vmware-lts-saucy
                  Suggested packages:
                  libglide3 fdutils linux-lts-saucy-doc-3.11.0 linux-lts-saucy-source-3.11.0 linux-lts-saucy-tools nickle cairo-5c xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi
                  gpointing-device-settings touchfreeze firmware-linux
                  Recommended packages:
                  xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-saucy
                  The following packages will be REMOVED:
                  The following NEW packages will be installed:
                  libdrm-nouveau2 libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-saucy libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-saucy libglamor-ltss0 libglapi-mesa-lts-saucy libllvm3.3 libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0
                  libxatracker1-lts-saucy libxrandr-ltss2 linux-generic-lts-saucy linux-headers-3.11.0-17 linux-headers-3.11.0-17-generic
                  linux-headers-generic-lts-saucy linux-image-3.11.0-17-generic linux-image-generic-lts-saucy x11-xserver-utils-lts-saucy xserver-common-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-core-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-input-evdev-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-input-mouse-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-input-wacom-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-video-cirrus-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-fbdev-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-intel-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-mach64-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-video-mga-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-modesetting-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-neomagic-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-r128-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-radeon-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-s3-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-video-savage-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-sis-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-sisusb-lts-saucy
                  xserver-xorg-video-tdfx-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-trident-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-vesa-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-video-vmware-lts-saucy
                  0 upgraded, 45 newly installed, 27 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                  Need to get 88.4 MB of archives.
                  After this operation, 286 MB of additional disk space will be used.
                  Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 15, 2014, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Humm .....I see what you are saying ,,,,,,it is going to remove kde-window-manager kde-workspace kubuntu-desktop and I do not see it being replaced ,,,,,,and will brake your GUI.....but this is not suposed to happen this way.

if my 12.04 was not so geeked out already I would try it,,,,,,,but alas I do not think it will work,,,,,,,,I'm using some Xorg PPA's their already.

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

OK, I played around with this in a VM. Indeed, apt-get wants to remove bits related to the KDE Window Manager. I suspect this is because the various Mesa, GLX, and DRI libraries in the enablement stack don't have a complete enough set of dependency definitions such that they properly resolve when the two Kubuntu PPAs are also installed. However, I was able to find an installation command that properly updates all libraries and doesn't result in the removal of anything Kubuntu-related. I'm looking for possible refinements and will post my recommendation shortly.

Comment

Alright, here's the command:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-lts-saucy libegl1-mesa-lts-saucy libgles2-mesa-lts-saucy libopenvg1-mesa-lts-saucy
                        Downloads are poky right now (dunno why?). I'll report back when it's done.

Comment

SteveRiley, it worked!

So far nothing seems to be broken apart from a couple of messages:
                          1. Profile: /usr/sbin/cupsd Operation: capable Name: block_suspend Logfile: /var/log/kern.log For more information, please see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingApparmor
                          2. /var/log/kern.log contains 1 denied message in the last day. For more information, please see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingApparmor

How did you figure it?

Thanks a lot!!!

Comment

Yes, I was just about to post a message indicating that it works here, too. You can ignore those errors.

To find out what was needed, I made a list of all lib*-lts-saucy packages (omitting dev and dbg versions). I checked the output of apt-get install with all of those packages on the command line. Sure enough, the Kubuntu bits were preserved. Then I simply started eliminating individual packages from the list, because some of them will get installed anyway as dependencies -- no need to specify them in the command.

Ultimately, the two critical ones were libegl1-mesa-lts-saucy and libgles2-mesa-lts-saucy. KWin (the KDE Window Manager) requires libegl1 and libgles2. The dependency solver can't figure out that it should use the ones from the LTS enablement stack; the original ones won't work with the newer X, so the package manager simply removes them. As a result, the package manager must also remove the Kubuntu bits. By telling the package manager to explicitly install them, the solver knows what to do. The final libopenvg1 is there for the same reason -- the solver can't figure out what its replacement is without some help.

Comment

Working...
                            X