This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiarch support

I can't install a .deb package from Crossover. Tech support there tells me this is becasue support for multiarch is lacking in 12.04. Does any one know if it will be better in 14.04?
    Last edited by lcharles; Jan 03, 2014, 06:36 PM.

Yes it is, it is very good in 13.10.

But really, it isn't terrible on 12.04.

You probably need the ia32-libs package to install crossover, what errors are you getting?

(My quick guess is that crossover package is simply not set up correctly to work in Ubuntu)

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

I have the 64 bit version of 12.04 installed. The error I get when I run the package, is "wrong architeture 'i386'" The program prompts me to open a console and run "sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386". which gives me an error "dpkg: error: unknown option --add-architecture".

If I check with the package manager it indicates that ia32-libs and ia32-libs-multiarch (i386) are installed.

I also have installed the linux steam client if that makes any difference.

Crossover recommends that I just run the generic linux installer rather than the .deb package saying that the multiarch support in 12.04 is not very good. Maybe I should just do that. However in the past they have recommended using the .deb version with Kubuntu because of dependency questions. Maybe that's a moot point now with their newer versions of the software. Although it is iirritating that the recommended install package changes with each new version of the software.

Comment

I dunno. Other 32 bit things run just fine in 12.04 if they are packaged properly Unfortunately Debian, and hence Ubuntu and a lot of others, have gone to a multi-arch system. This made for different packaging requirements from 12.10 onwards. Not at all difficult to do, however it makes for maintaining an extra package set for Debian based systems as well as the extra choices (and possible user confusion) in what to download.

As you can already see by running Steam, 32 bit support is not bad here, Skype and others also show this.

This changeover was not sudden or hidden, though probably not shouted to the ends of the earth.
        All I see is a circular blame game, unfortunately.

I wonder why they don't just use their generic installer across the board, might be a better solution?

Comment

I don't understand it either. It used to be easy to upgrade. Anyway I uninstalled the .deb package and installed the generic version. There are still problems so I'm going to try and get it resolved through them.

Comment

Working...
          X