Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I upgraded from NVidia 3.05 to NVidia 3.19, I lost my desktop.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I upgraded from NVidia 3.05 to NVidia 3.19, I lost my desktop.

I upgraded as the subject says and all I got was the commandline. I attempted to "startx" and got a bunch of error messages, basically I was not able to use the desktop.
    I examined the error messages and found a lot of stuff referencing incompatibilities between 3.05 and 3.19. So, I checked the cache for anything about NVidia and then did an "apt-get install" etc. Installing most of the 3.19 NVidia stuff.
    After that I was able to reboot into the desktop like normal.
    There seems to be a problem with the upgrade of NVidia proprietary drivers.
    Anyone interested in fixing that?
    Thank you!

I just downgraded to 3.04, rebooted, upgraded to 3.19.32, rebooted. Other than sitting at the console login for 1.5 minutes (this happens when I make kernel/driver changes. Disk activity lets me know that kdm is still working on things), I didn't have any issues.
    What would you like fixed?
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Baustelle...319.12/Optimus follow this for Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
        Other than sitting at the console login for 1.5 minutes (this happens when I make kernel/driver changes. Disk activity lets me know that kdm is still working on things)
        Hmm... usually DKMS re-compiles nVidia modules before a reboot. Your description indicates something unusual is happening.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Hmm... usually DKMS re-compiles nVidia modules before a reboot. Your description indicates something unusual is happening.
          When a system change happens (I change kernel, I mess with efibootmgr or grub2 (update-grub), I update drivers, ect), the system then has to find and mount my cifs shares and find the network printer. Or, that's what the logs are telling me. Only happens the one time, until I mess with something else.
          I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Working...
          X