X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE startup problem

Hello all,
    I am using kubuntu 12.04 LTS with KDE 4.10.5 with an HP G62 laptop. Occasionally, during start up, instead of going to the graphical login, the procedure will stop at the Linux login. At this point I can usually do one of two things: I can log in manually and do 'startx', or reboot. After rebooting, most often all proceeds normally. I suspect my hardware may have something to do with the issue, but I do not know how to troubleshoot it. Can anyone help?

thanks,
    monon

i would look at your gfx driver. if X is failing to start that woudl be a good place to look check 'dmesg' when this happens before starting X you might get some useful info.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Now this is exactly what is happening to me after the upgrade to 4.11. I believe it has to do with the nvidia driver 304.88 and the way it installed. I noticed when it installed a few days ago when I was running 4.10.5 it was loading different. Seems it doesn't load until kde starts because I have the large linux login showing that never did that before. Rebooting does cause my computer to boot normally. I'm sure someone will figure this out.
      Alienware 17 R2
      ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
      ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
      Nvidia Graphics
      16 Ram
      Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

try from your terminal
        sudo dpkg --configure lightdm
        if you have both kdm and lightdm installed maybe there is a problem w/ the config (this will ask you what to use as default)

if that doesn't work you might want to remove the nvidia driver or revert to kde 4.10.5 (see ppa-purge)
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
        X