X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop effects not working when opencl is installed

Hello everyone,
    I'm running Kubuntu 12.04.2 and if I install opencl on this machine, the desktop effects just stop working. I tried asking in IRC channels #kubuntu and #kde for help but nobody ever replied. I'm running Intel's graphics adapter and the effects work fine if opencl is uninstalled. I tried looking around the internet but couldn't get a lot of information. Could someone help me out here? If nobody knows what to do, could you at least point me to a guide that'll help me debug the desktop effects? Thank you!

OpenCL support in Linux is spotty, and likely to interfere with other graphics primitives. KWin has no support for OpenCL at all. If existing OpenCL libraries break other aspects of the X.Org rendering path, then I'm not really surprised that KWin would malfunction.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      OpenCL support in Linux is spotty, and likely to interfere with other graphics primitives. KWin has no support for OpenCL at all. If existing OpenCL libraries break other aspects of the X.Org rendering path, then I'm not really surprised that KWin would malfunction.
      Oh I see! Is there some way to force X.Org/KWin to continue functioning as if OpenCL didn't exist? I don't need OpenCL(and any packages that get installed with it) to help with graphics since I'm going to use it for computations.

Comment

I don't know, really. I'm actually somewhat surprised that you're having problems. Of course, I could be completely wrong here, too, and your problems lie elsewhere. To start, since this really sounds like a KDE problem, I'd suggest posting your question on the KDE forums. You might attract the KWin maintainer there.

Comment

Alright will go ask around the KDE forums. Thank you very much for helping out!

Comment

Originally posted by arvindsraj View Post
            Alright will go ask around the KDE forums. Thank you very much for helping out!
            So I'd posted in the KDE forums about this issue(login required to view forum post) and concluded that it isn't an issue with KDE but (K)Ubuntu. The problem is that the packages nvidia-current and nvidia-settings get installed instead of the AMD packages which are what work with CPUs as stated in this Launchpad bug report. And it seems like it's been fixed in Quantal and needs to be backported to Precise.

Comment

So this is a packaging bug that's over two years old? Sheesh. Glad you found an almost-solution.

Comment

Working...
              X