X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 12.4

Hello,
    I am new in here..
    I have been using kubuntu with KDE desktop for some years now and been more or less happy with it.
    I use it only in a laptop for few specific purposes such as: Programming and downloading torrents.

I have just installed the 12.4 on the top of my existed version 10 and the result was not good at all.
    12.4 has some extremely stupid features which are extremely hard to understand.
    1) WLAN connection is always lose after rebooting the computer
    2) All K-Torrent does is to only upload, feels like it is built for uploading torrent files not downloading them.
    3) If I keep no limit on uploads, my network is totally dead, it is almost impossible to use internet because it becomes extremely slow.
    4) If I set upload limit, I only get crappy speed for downloading
    5) If I set the torrent to be removed after the download, it never removes it (again feels like someone is trying to force me to seed).

I only seed as long as I am downloading not after the download is finished.

Some peoples might say to use Azureus and my answer for them will be,
    forget that java crap!

I have downgraded my Kubuntu back to version 10 because I do not have the same problems with it.

If you have any idea of improving the K-TORRENT please let me know!
    My Internet speed is 50MB and I never get more than max: 2MB
    If I use the 12.4 all get is totally crappy speed and uploading speed is 90% of the time higher than downloading speed.

What I am trying to achieve is:
    - To make sure downloading speed is always higher than uploading speed
    - To remove torrent and stop seeding after the download is done
    -*To be able to decide my self what will be the upload speed if the max upload limit is killing my bandwidth.

thanks in advance

Outside of deleting your ktorrentrc file found in /home/<username>/.kde/share/config to start with a clean slate, I might suggest totry another torrent client to see if your issue is specific to ktorrent, or maybe specific to the tracker(s) you use.

I currently am using qbittorrent, which is in theory a "lightweight" client, which runs beautifully on an ancient celeron netbook. It is by no means light on features, though. Worth trying out as a test at least. It is a Qt program, so will not need much for extra non-kde dependencies, and will look a bit more at "home" in Kubuntu visually.

If a different torrent client works properly, then it is something in Ktorrent. Which could be a bug in that particular version.

So my first step would be to shut down Ktorrent, and then move or delete the config file. Run it again, and use it to see if it is now working.

If not, try a different client. if that works as expected, then try looking at Ktorrent's forum - they may have more hints, and definitely more knowledge with torrents/trackers/clients. They might have links to fresher versions of their client if that might fix the issues.

As to other issues, this might be related to upgrading - sometimes the big jumps in KDE/Kubuntu versions do not always go well. I might also suggest trying out a live session of 12.04, or even newer versions, to see if things work smoother before hand. Everyone's mileage varies of course, but from my experiences I believe 12.10 is overall the most stable Kubuntu version in many a year. I know 12.04 is "LTS" but that does not mean much imo for a KDE system. 12.04 does improve a lot by upgrading it to the newer KDE version available. Alas, this does not include newer versions of Ktorrent.

Comment

When you perform an internet speedtest with a site such as speedtest.net or mlab what kind of results do you get? I am using Transmission qt but Ktorrent should work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by inkrypted View Post
        When you perform an internet speedtest with a site such as speedtest.net or mlab what kind of results do you get? I am using Transmission qt but Ktorrent should work just fine.
        Hi.
        Thanks for the reply
        Yes, I have tested with many speed testers and my speed is great.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Outside of deleting your ktorrentrc file found in /home/<username>/.kde/share/config to start with a clean slate, I might suggest totry another torrent client to see if your issue is specific to ktorrent, or maybe specific to the tracker(s) you use.

I currently am using qbittorrent, which is in theory a "lightweight" client, which runs beautifully on an ancient celeron netbook. It is by no means light on features, though. Worth trying out as a test at least. It is a Qt program, so will not need much for extra non-kde dependencies, and will look a bit more at "home" in Kubuntu visually.

If a different torrent client works properly, then it is something in Ktorrent. Which could be a bug in that particular version.

So my first step would be to shut down Ktorrent, and then move or delete the config file. Run it again, and use it to see if it is now working.

If not, try a different client. if that works as expected, then try looking at Ktorrent's forum - they may have more hints, and definitely more knowledge with torrents/trackers/clients. They might have links to fresher versions of their client if that might fix the issues.

As to other issues, this might be related to upgrading - sometimes the big jumps in KDE/Kubuntu versions do not always go well. I might also suggest trying out a live session of 12.04, or even newer versions, to see if things work smoother before hand. Everyone's mileage varies of course, but from my experiences I believe 12.10 is overall the most stable Kubuntu version in many a year. I know 12.04 is "LTS" but that does not mean much imo for a KDE system. 12.04 does improve a lot by upgrading it to the newer KDE version available. Alas, this does not include newer versions of Ktorrent.
          Thank you for the reply
          I will try and see how it works.
          I have tested with azureus and noticed that it is not good.

Comment

me too I use qbittorrent in place of ktorrent and I don't have any problems with downloading files via torrent.
            Just one suggestion: limit the upload speed to 20 kb.

Comment

Working...
            X