This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing MIDI Files

Some friend of mine pointed out that there was no midi music on my browser. Then I found out midi files don't play at all, did not recognize them. So I downloaded Rose Garden (I know overkill eh?) and Q Jack Control and watched 5 or 6 youtube tutorials on how to set this up. No luck. If this is something that takes a Phd in Rocket Surgery then I probably should just leave it and move on. It is not like I plan on becoming a famous musician or I am missing much annoying background music like my friend's "Hungry Like a Wolf" playing on his page.

This is what I have learned; I ran the QJC and did set up; in the selection under interface I selected default, but the other 2 choices are; hw:0 HDA Intel and hw:0,0 ALC662 rev1 Analog. Since we are talking digital music I thought this is a no brainer eh? Under it I selected Playback only and Real time is checked.

Next I opened a midi file in Rose Garden. And make the connections from it to my system using QJC. The file appears to be playing but no sound, not even static. I have no problems listening to uh... real audio XD with my Mpeg players or other analog formats. But I was wondering if I am just overlooking something simple?

Install timidity, that should play MIDI files.

Comment

Thanks sealbhach,

ok at least Timidity plays sounds, although it sounds like an 8 bit arcade game... probably not its fault. But that file interface and GUI are horrid. :P Well I guess that works just not in my browser.

One thing I forgot to add above was that Rose Garden reports that my System Timer is too low and run sudo modprobe snd-rtctimer but it returns; FATAL: Module snd_rtctimer not found. I really enjoy analog audio over this midi music anyway. I just wanted to know, if it was just me or everyone.

Comment

Working...
      X