Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kdm wont start on its own

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • benny_fletch
    replied
    I am also having this issue. Two out of five boots have resulted in the command line. I receive no errors when I am presented the login prompt (checked this by hitting CTRL + ALT + F7), it just looks like KDM is not loading. When I login and startx I also receive no errors, the desktop just loads without issue. I am using Kubuntu 12.04.1 fully updated (stock kernel) with KDE 4.10.00 and I am using the ubuntu-updates proprietary nvidia driver. The only real issue with this is if I login to the CLI and startx I can't mount USB drives through KDE (gives me a "you are not authorized... yadda yadda" error). I will continue to monitor the situation and see if I find any other errors I might be missing, but I just wanted to state I also have this problem.

    EDIT : Oh, forgot to mention this is only happening on my desktop system. My laptop upgraded to 4.10.00 is unaffected.

    EDIT 2 : It happened on my laptop this evening. Still no clues on why yet. Hopefully the KDE 4.10.1 update will resolve this
    Last edited by benny_fletch; Feb 25, 2013, 09:01 PM. Reason: EDIT 2

    Leave a comment:


  • vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by dragonfixed View Post
    I am running kubuntu 12.04.2 and have kde 4.10.0 installed. 50% of the time kdm will load and i will be able to login. the other 50% i have to go to a tty session and force kdm to start. The kernel i am running is 3.5.0-22-generic.
    when you half to start kdm from a tty do you see anything worysome in the text befor it starts ?
    the next time it dose this befor forcing it to start cat some of your log files in /var/log and see if you see anything that looks wrong try typing dmesg and enter first then cat /var/log/syslog then Xorg.0.log

    Originally posted by dragonfixed View Post
    Also i am having the screen saver start up when it is not supposed to, i have it set to 1 minute. but when i dont touch the keyboard and mouse it still starts up and locks my screen.
    but this is the expected behavior , after 1 minute of inactivity the screen locker will come on ,,,,,try setting it to 30minutes or disabeling.



    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • dragonfixed
    started a topic kdm wont start on its own

    kdm wont start on its own

    I am running kubuntu 12.04.2 and have kde 4.10.0 installed. 50% of the time kdm will load and i will be able to login. the other 50% i have to go to a tty session and force kdm to start. The kernel i am running is 3.5.0-22-generic.

    Also i am having the screen saver start up when it is not supposed to, i have it set to 1 minute. but when i dont touch the keyboard and mouse it still starts up and locks my screen.

    Need to get this fixed


    Please Help

    Shawn

    LPI level1
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dragonfixed; Feb 26, 2013, 09:23 PM. Reason: updating files

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X