X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove i386 Packages

Kubuntu 12.04 - amd64

I need to free some space of my hd. Is it safe to remove the i386 packages that have their amd64 version installed? If yes, what is the most safe and fast method?

TIA

If you've installed the 64 bit version after installing the 32 bit packages it should be using the 64 bit version meaning that it should be safe to remove the 32 bit version. I would say that the quickest way to remove all 32 bit versions of the packages is through Muon by selecting all the 32 bit packages then getting Muon to remove them all in one go. Of course, someone else will probably tell you to do it through the terminal.

Comment

If no other packages installed in your system depend upon any 32 bit packages, then you can just do a sudo apt-get autoremove.

Of course, be sure to have a good hard look at the list of packages it says it will remove before telling it to proceed.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

I installed the 64 bit version of Kubuntu on a new laptop a few years ago, and always choose the 64 bit version when installing new applications. Even so, I've noticed that many 32 bit packages are also installed. I'd like to remove only the i386 packages that have their amd64 "duplicates", but didn't find how to build such a list in Muon. Moreover, when I select a package for removal, e.g. "bluez-alsa (i386)", a window pops up informing that other package(s) will also be removed, and I become uncertain if this operation will break other apps.

Thanks for yor quick reply.

Comment

Also
          Code:
          sudo apt-get autoclean
          will remove old downloaded packages which will free up some space.

The 32bit libs would have been installed by 32bit programs that needed them, best to find what programs you have are 32bit and see if you need them.

Comment

As recommended, do note what will be removed. If you have wine, skype, or any other programs installed that are 32bit, they will be uninstalled as well. Some things may have a 64bit package, such as skype and wine, but they are packaged that way simply to pull in the needed 32 bit libraries.

Comment

Thanks everybody! I'm carefully removing package by package and already have enough extra space on the hd for my work.

Comment

Working...
              X