This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't save documents

I have a Toshiba LX-835 all-in-one computer set up to dual-boot into Kububtu 12.04 or Windoze 7. I have 3 partitions for different kinds of data that can be accessed both from Kubuntu & W7. My problem is that when I prepare a new document in Libre Office in Kububtu I can save it to /home/documents, but when I try to save it into one of these partitions I get the following message:
    "Error saving the document NAME:
    /home/E_Data/NAME.odt does not exist."

I remember having to change permissions in /etc/fstab back in K7.04, but K12.04 has an /etc/fstab.d folder instead, an it's empty.

What do I have to do to be able to write into these partitions?
    Last edited by Paul Sweet; Dec 08, 2012, 04:25 PM.

you should still have an fstab in /etc, as well as the /etc/fstab.d

Comment

you should see the partitions in dolphins places panel , if the partitions are not in /etc/fstab thay will not be mounted at boot , you can click the partitions in dolphin's places panel and it will mount them under /media and you can work with them .
      if you need them to be mounted at boot then add them to /etc/fstab

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well, I'm halfway to a solution. Apparenty when I first posted I was still too stuffed with turkey to think straight. I was looking for a folder /etc/fstab instead of a file etc/fstab.

Anyway, I found it and added "uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0022" after "defaults", and now I'm able to save files to E, but not F & G. G is a shared drive, so I want to give guests, as well as me, full acess to it. What puzzles me is that I can't save to F, which has the same umask as E.

Here's /etc/fstab as of now:

UUID=11E3-29ED /home/E_Data vfat defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0022 0 0
        UUID=11E3-2CEE /home/F_Photos-Tunes vfat defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0022 0 0
        UUID=11E3-3089 /home/G_Shared vfat defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0002 0 0
        UUID=6e18b2c0-1027-0000-fa24-806e6f6e6963 / ext3 defaults 0 1

Comment

Who owns the mount points?
          Code:
          ls -l /home

Comment

See: Fstab Introduction to fstab - Options

You might want to remove 'defaults' from your entries, replacing it with 'user' instead. 'defaults' contains nouser:
            nouser - Only permit root to mount the filesystem. This is also a default setting.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog. I'm almost there. I can write to E, F & G when I sign in as paul. However, I can't write to G when I sign in as guest. Do I have to set uid & gid to 1000 & 1001 to give both guest & myself full access to G?

James147, guest owns /home/guest, paul owns E, F & G as well as /home/paul.

Comment

If you want the mounts to be writeable by every one use the umask 0000. Or use umask 0002 and make use all the users you want to access it belong to the group the owns the directory

Comment

Working...
                X