Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i upgrade kde alone from quantal iso ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can i upgrade kde alone from quantal iso ?

I have the kubuntu 12.10 iso. I installed it but felt that its buggy in some aspects like overheating , gpu driver etc. So i reverted back to 12.04LTS. But I want to upgrade kde alone keeping the kubuntu version at 12.04. I can do it by enabling the backports repo but doing so might make me download huge memory. So can i use the kde in 12.10 iso to install it in kubuntu 12.04.

The only way to upgrade just KDE is to use the PPA. There will be some slight differences in the under lying system libraries used to compile all the software that will make using 12.10 packages on 12.04 a real problem. Also, I think that the install disk doesn't necessarily install individual packages, so there aren't a full set of packages on there.

The download size from the PPA will be less than downloading a full iso image.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by claydoh; Oct 23, 2012, 04:20 PM.

Comment

The download might be lesser than iso but still i think it is big enough, since i have a slow connection. Ok if PPA is the only way to upgrade then i will have to do it that way.

Comment

Your overheating and gpu problems may be kernel related. Another option would be to install 12.10 and then install an older kernel.

Comment

I suspect the same. I had the same overheating issue when precise was released, but now as its kernel got updates the issue seems to be minimal. Can u guide me how can i install an older kernel. Can i install kernel as low as 2.6.x ?

And I have ATI mobility radeon hd 4570 gpu. The problem with gpu driver in 12.10 is , I can't see anything to install under "Additional Drivers". Im sure that propreitary drivers in software sources is enabled.

Comment

Working...
          X