This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP: How to get akonadi to work in 12.04

I just realized to my horror that I was about to miss an important medical appointment tomorrow because Kontact is not working, so I am getting no reminders. When I try to start it, it works away for a half minute, then says:

akonadi personal information management service is not operational

If I google this, I find MANY results, but none of them (or of the first 10 or so I have read) are helpful in telling me how to get Kontact running.

I use Kontact for the calendar and the contacts list only. I do not use Kmail or to-do lists, so a migration based on Kmail is useless to me.

Why have "they" done this to us? And why were we not warned somewhere during the 12.04 installation?

Help, please!
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

I know this is not a real solution. I have not gone near Kontact for quite some time as i really need a reliable synch between ,my calendars, contacts, to-do's, etc. and have never really gotten akonadi to work a 100%. maybe I'll try again in 12.10.

I have been using TB (latest version) for a while now and love it with lightning, contact and the google add-ons. They sync immediately with all of my google stuff so my smartphone and PC are always up to date.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I think I will have to follow your suggestion. Just what do you mean by "contact"? Google contacts? My problem with that is getting the info out of (dead) Kontact and into that.

Thanks for your reply!
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

No problem.
        Try exporting your contacts to a IDIF format and then importing to TB. should work. Conversely you can try importing to gmail->contacts first and then let the google add-ons do thier stuff. For this you'll have to export to CVS or Vcard from Kontakt first and then improt to gmail->contacts.

Hope this helps
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for your assistance. Too bad about Kontact.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan View Post
            I have been using TB (latest version) for a while now and love it with lightning, contact and the google add-ons. They sync immediately with all of my google stuff so my smartphone and PC are always up to date.
            I second this ... despite it not being an actual solution.
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Hi
              You posted:

akonadi personal information management service is not operational
              From what you wrote, can it be assumed that was an error message? I've not seen it before.

So given that I did some googling and found this long thread, the cut to chase of which is:

a) One might install/or re-install the mysql server. There was a situation with it about 6 months or so ago and it was discussed here at the forums.
              b) One might just remove all of akonadai and reinstall it.

The thread is kinda long but the main info is toward the bottom:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-269996.html

hope this helps a little.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

When I import an ldif file into Thunderbird's Address Book, it ignores all the street addresses. Is there a way to get around this? Maybe edit the ldif file or something?

Comment

I tested that just now. Try vcard format that worked for me.

BTHW I use the following add-ons: Lighting, Provider for Google Calendar 0.16 and gContactSync 0.3.5 and a few others.
                  Last edited by Fintan; Sep 18, 2012, 04:09 AM.
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan View Post
                    Try vcard format that worked for me.

BTHW I use the following add-ons: Lighting, Provider for Google Calendar 0.16 and gContactSync 0.3.5 and a few others.
                    I'll have to boot an old system (I have one) and write a vcard file. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

No help from re-install: what now?

I tried removing kontact (and akonadi) and re-installing. No help. The message I get is this:

Database process exited unexpectedly during initial connection!
                      executable: "/usr/sbin/mysqld-akonadi"
                      arguments: ("--defaults-file=/home/jon/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf", "--datadir=/home/jon/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/", "--socket=/home/jon/.local/share/akonadi/socket-jon-linux-12/mysql.socket")
                      stdout: ""
                      stderr: "Could not open required defaults file: /home/jon/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf
                      Fatal error in defaults handling. Program aborted

What the **** does akonadi want with mysql? If all its data is in there, what happens to it when one reinstalls a system from scratch (as I recently did)? And how to fix this? I had thought that re-installing would create the missing file.

I tried going thru google and they do not accept import from an ldif file. And I have been thinking that ldif was the cat's whiskers.

Comment

Working...
                      X