This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fetch job at shutdown - unknown error

I am getting a box a shutdown that says "fetch job..., unknown error". I can wait for the box to go away or close out the box then my computer is able to shut down. Has any one else had this problem? Does any one know how I can I fix this error?

I am getting the same error and no I don't know how to fix it. It displays a blue screen and files I have in my desktop folder and the error message in the middle of the screen. I am also having errors with kmail, not sure it is related. This has been happing since 12.04 to 12.10 upgrade. Let me know if you find anything.

Comment

Searching with the "kde fetch job unknown error"

Few hits:

- A KDE bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=292601
      - A blog: http://penguingeek.blogspot.fi/2012/...de-logout.html
      Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
      - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

The first is not related as it is for login error. The isse we are having is on logout.

The Second link is excactly the problem we are getting. The resolution however does not resolve it in my instance. I already had kdepim removed, to try and resolve some problems which still exist with akonadi in kmail. Seems to all be related. I tried adding kdepim back and checking deps. then removing. No joy. What 'fetch job' related to my personal information would be trying to run on shutdown potentially related to akonadi which is affecting my outbound email? Mind boggles....

Comment

I am getting the same error because I accidentally initialized kmail somehow (by a 'send to' or 'mail to' link thinking Thunderbird was my default mail client), big mistake, the first mistake is installing kubuntu-full (which drags kdepim with it), it's not really needed for the average user. I agree this error is totally annoying and it reminds me of WinDOHS, I may have to do a complete re-install of Kubuntu to get rid of it.

Edit: It would appear to be something as simple as shredding the config file in /home/<user>/.config/akonadi/ (this is after I completely uninstalled the two above mentioned packages and shredded any config file related to Akonadi or Nepomuk, especially in /usr/share/autostart/, along with a bunch of other junk I don't need or want), but you do get a couple of system tray notices saying "kmail is broken, the resource is offline" on the next reboot, just click them away, they don't come back on following boots.

This is one thing I don't like about KDE, is the unnecessary bloat of things average people don't want or need, I think they feel a need to keep up to Apple and Microslop, with every idiotic thing they come out with that is supposed to make the user experience better and easier, phhht. There should be a stripped down KDE package available and the extra junk in installable side packages.

Edit 2: I find this package (kubuntu-low-fat-settings) helpful too but you have to turn a few things back on (like switch the theme back to Oxygen and a few GUI animations, all found in System Settings/Desktop Effects and Workspace Appearance), my system isn't that slow or bloated, lol.
          Last edited by tek_heretik; Aug 16, 2013, 02:31 AM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

Mark this thread solved because what I did got rid of it?

Comment

Because I despise and have tried to remove Akonadi/Nepomuk and all their related/dependent apps, haven't seen that error. But I did do an apt-get purge kde-pim and kmail. The purge argument in apt-get usually removes related config files as well as the software in the package being removed.

The evil twins of akonadi/nepomuk are very difficult to get rid without trashing KDE. I've asked questions about the evil twins on the KDE forum and got nothing but grief and negative karma in return (some of the negative was the result of my questions/comments about Amarok, though). It's all the user's fault and the distro's fault, according to the "powers that be" over there. Never going there again.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                Because I despise and have tried to remove Akonadi/Nepomuk and all their related/dependent apps, haven't seen that error. But I did do an apt-get purge kde-pim and kmail. The purge argument in apt-get usually removes related config files as well as the software in the package being removed.

The evil twins of akonadi/nepomuk are very difficult to get rid without trashing KDE. I've asked questions about the evil twins on the KDE forum and got nothing but grief and negative karma in return (some of the negative was the result of my questions/comments about Amarok, though). It's all the user's fault and the distro's fault, according to the "powers that be" over there. Never going there again.
                Heh, I can imagine, I guess in their minds it's a stroke of genius and a toy they slaved on so they are not about to get rid of it. You have to understand Europeans are not fond of WinDOHS at all, that being said, KDE is probably their closet replacement, if ya get my drift.

Oops, almost forgot to mention, I will test it again but I could swear if you try to uninstall kmail, Synaptic anyway, wants to uninstall all of KDE (the recommended tree thing), not for noobs, clicking OK borks the install.
                Ha! I stand corrected but, I already had akonadi and nepomuk stopped and under control...so if the evil twins are still running...hmm.
                Last edited by tek_heretik; Aug 25, 2013, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Got your drift, brother!! There's a lot that the evil twins do, and are embedded in; it'll make you cry trying figure it all out. I think they play with Dolphin, too, which is a shame because as GUI machine browser it's nice. Just open a terminal and run top or ps and you'll see them running.
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
                  X