Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Way to Get Stable Updates in Timely Manner?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can always wait for Quantril or Backports but if you just want to check out the stability on precise installing to a usb stick (If your bios supports booting from usb) is a really slick way. Actually running this laptop off a 32gb usb stick now. I figured for 19.99 it would be a nice test bed and could leave the original vista alone on the primary drive till I can order another drive.

But as to my Beta experiences like everyone else I've had some colossal disasters in the past, (I understand your caution) but kde4.4.90 has been mostly a bug fix release and not many new features were added. Dolphin changes being the most notable update. The power management being the other. (Dumbed down to being part of the battery monitor widget) I did try Agregator and didn't see any anomolies here. I do think this is as safe and stable a beta as I've tried for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
      I'd love to live in a world where bug fixes never, ever introduce new bugs
      That world will never exist if it is populated by human beings.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Looks like 4.4.9 release is in backports? Imagine that!

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post

Thanks for the link. Will check it out as soon as I can but generally I prefer actual user input on something like this as it sounds like more of an explanation of whats where, and even if the author has his opinion on general stability, I think hearing multiple feedbacks is a more indication on over all stability vs one persons opinion but maybe I am jumping to conclusions. G2G though so I will check it later. Thanks again!

Sent from my DROID2 Global
          It is from user input- that's my decrepit blog! plus many years of having releases available this way.
          But in all reality, that hierarchy is exactly what each PPA is for - it has to be up to you how far you want to go, and what you mean by timely manner.
          If you have both the kubuntu-updates and kubuntu-backports you get the progression from 4.8.2 to 4.8.x as it is released, then 4.9 after that.

Comment

Id be a little careful with backports. I used to use them but an update about a month ago sent my system down the tubes. If things go wrong, you can undo backport updates using ppa-purge, which is in the repos.

Comment

@sixonetonoffun, your thumb drive is a good idea, but personally, I prefer using a vm given my specs.

But as to my Beta experiences like everyone else I've had some colossal disasters in the past, (I understand your caution) but kde4.4.90 has been mostly a bug fix release and not many new features were added. Dolphin changes being the most notable update. The power management being the other. (Dumbed down to being part of the battery monitor widget) I did try Agregator and didn't see any anomolies here. I do think this is as safe and stable a beta as I've tried for a long time.
              Would you say the disasters were when dealing with a major update? Am I correct in saying in the case of KDE a .x release can be a major or minor update but a .X.Y would be a minor update?

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              That world will never exist if it is populated by human beings.
              What if the computers could write the programs with only minimal interaction such as, in plain text, telling the computer what the program should do?

@claydoh, yeah I didn't realize it was your own blog at the time of my post. I realized it later and took a read and found it to be a good read although I was confused on a few things but like I said, long day. I expect to refresh my memory some time tomorrow as it should be an easy day here.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
              Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
              Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
              Graphics Card: MSI R7770
              Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
              Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
              PSU: Corsair 520HX
              Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
              Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
              Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Well let me know what parts are unclear, I was thinking of updating it actually

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  Well let me know what parts are unclear, I was thinking of updating it actually
                  Sure,.the only thing that I can recall off hand was a reference to karmac backports. This confused me because os version repos was not part of the disscusion..I thought maybe you meant To say kubuntu backports. When I read it again, I will note the location of it. Maybe you confused karmack with kubuntu. Then again maybe I wasnt in my right mind when I read it lol(due to lack of sleep).

Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Karmic (as in Karmic Koala) was the Kubuntu version at the time the article was written - 9.10. A reason to update it, and look for other areas not clear - kubuntu-backports (ppa) vs "normal" Ubuntu backports, and the like

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      Karmic (as in Karmic Koala) was the Kubuntu version at the time the article was written - 9.10. A reason to update it, and look for other areas not clear - kubuntu-backports (ppa) vs "normal" Ubuntu backports, and the like
                      I know Karmic was the version. But, heres what I was talking about:
                      If you are interested in finding perhaps a few bug fixes and a newer version
                      that has been better tested, then enable the official Ubuntu Backports (the
                      "Unsupported Updates" option in KPAckagekit). This currently provides KDE
                      SC 4.3.5 . This is probably the best combination of new software and tested
                      packages.
                      Those who want to try out the latest official KDE "minor" release for testing
                      before it hopefully gets moved to Ubuntu Backports will want to use Kubuntu
                      Updates in addition to Ubuntu Backports.
                      Shouldnt this be Kubuntu backports?

I dunno if that what you mean though in your post I quoted here regarding kubuntu backports vs ubuntu backports. Did Ubuntu backports hold the updates back when Kubuntu was a Canonical produced and maintained distro?

Comment

Working...
                      X