This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

False Printer Status Messages

I have just spent three hours trying to sort out a printing problem only to find out that it was an issue with the print system.

I am trying to print wirelessly to networked printers via the Ethernet LAN. I am printing from Kubuntu 12.04 on an Acer Aspire Revo with an Atom processor. The Document Print Status has shown User 'Unknown', Document 'Unknown' and Time Submitted 'Unknown' since 11.04, but I have usually been able to print out OK, with a bit of fiddling.

I won't bore you with all the downloading of firmware, using fixed printer IPs, restarting the cups service and alternative printer drivers because I now know that was not the problem. The problem is the little Atom processor. When printing a 34 page, double-sided, graphic intensive document from Okular, I get continual "Printer 'Color_LaserJet_CP3505' may not be connected" applet messages together with the same in the 'Document Print Status' and the 'Printer Status' windows. This is even when the Printer Configuration is showing Enable, Accepting, and Sharing as ticked in Printer Configuration.

The problem is that the little Atom is working its... is working very hard to spool the print image, and the messages continue for, say, 15 minutes while it does its work. Eventually, it prints out (quite quickly once the spooling is complete) and the messages stop.

Is there any way to configure the spooler so that it does not generate the messages if the Printer Configuration is reporting that all is well? Oh, and getting a bigger computer is not the answer I'm looking for!

Regards
    Roy Leith

False Printer Status Messages - Vanish!

I printed out another PDF and had no problems, at all. I think the problem PDF pages were a little oversized and the default setting of the printer driver option of 'fit to page' was not working.

When I get the time, I will investigate if there is any way to resize the pages for printing.

Regards
    Roy Leith

Comment

Working...
    X