This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restricting User Sessions to a certain length

Is there a way to restrict user sessions to a certain length in a 24 hour period?

My kids have their own Windows/Kubuntu box that they play with. I would like to configure it so they each have one hour per day. Trying to log back in after the time expires kicks them back to login screen.

Also, I'd like to have it configured so when they log off before the time expires, the clock stops.

At midnight the time would reset for each user.

Bonus if there is a way to also do this from Windows.

Mega bonus if Windows/Kubuntu can both track the same amount of time, so said kid only has one hour between windows/linux!!

I believe you can do this in the router settings.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In Windows, you can use the Parental Controls feature to apply several kinds of policies, including time limits. The Ubuntu repositories contain a package called nanny that appears to do something similar.

Comment

nanny, thanks! I'll check that out...

Comment

This function isn't just critical for my kids, it is critical for me! It forces me to go to bed at a decent hour -- probably one of the most important things I've done.

Setting the access restrictions in the router is the best way, becasue you can do it for all sorts of devices -- (K)Ubuntu boxes, Windows boxes, Android devices, etc. Most routers allow fine-tuning, so you can allow or deny certain services or URLs or keywords but still allow some things to occur at night or certain hours of the day...

Timekpr at

https://launchpad.net/~timekpr-maintainers/+archive/ppa

can do what you want on a machine by machine basis in (K)Ubuntu, though...

(As described at Kubuntuguide: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu_...al_controls.29 )
          Last edited by perspectoff; Jul 02, 2012, 08:38 AM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
          and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
          X