This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dockable System Monitor Widget

In Windows I used 7Sidebar(just restores the vista side bar the MS disabled in Win7) with, vertically going from top to bottom, a weather gadget (gadget=widgets basically) then a CPU Monitor, an HDD Monitor, and a GPU monitor. In KDE/Kubuntu I have taken an "Empty Panel" and used it to create a side bar and would like to replicate my Win 7 Sidebar. I have installed CWP for Weather and it works great! However I have not been able to find a widget or set of widgets that can be docked to the "sidebar" that monitors these pieces of hardware. I have installed Conky, and tried a few different widgets for it, but they were unable to be docked, in one case, and one or two others were capable of being docked, but would minimize to an icon unless I stretched the sidebar out really far. Can any one can recommend a/some gadgets for these purposes that will dock with out requiring an extremely over sized "sidebar?"
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Sounds like you want something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	system-monitor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	640013

It's called 'System Monitor', and is part of the plasma-widgets-workspace package.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks for the input HalationEffect. You got the right idea but I tried that one previously and found that the buttons part on the top was really buggy, and the Widgets them selves are pretty ugly imo with the exception of the hdd one.

Here are a few conky scripts I really liked but they won't dock as they are not widgets.
      Default: https://www.gnome-look.org/content/s...?content=92328
      https://www.gnome-look.org/content/s...?content=62536
      https://www.gnome-look.org/content/s...?content=83970
      https://www.gnome-look.org/content/s...content=103254

By no means am I set on conky. I could care less what the backend monitoring package/program is. I just want something more appealing to look at then those particular widgets.

Sent from my DROID2 Global
      Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

I am able to dock the standard CPU monitor and HDD monitor on my panel....

Click image for larger version

Name:	sample.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	640014

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
          I am able to dock the standard CPU monitor and HDD monitor on my panel....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3506[/ATTACH]

I was talking about the conky scripts not docking. The standard ones work on there own, but are buggy when used in the manner of the screenshot in post 2 with the toggle above them and In my post above I said the standard ones were ugly imo.

Sent from my DROID2 Global

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
            Thanks for the input HalationEffect. You got the right idea but I tried that one previously and found that the buttons part on the top was really buggy, and the Widgets them selves are pretty ugly imo with the exception of the hdd one.
            Not sure in what way the buttons at the top are buggy - they work fine for me.

As for the appearance of the widget, yeah, it's a bit of a 'plain jane' plasmoid. Every so often I search the web looking for something better, but I've yet to find anything.
            sigpic
            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

If memory serves me right, plasma-desktop was crashing when I would click on the different toggle buttons.

I don't suppose there is a way to make the conky widgets be dockable is there?

Comment

Just to be clear conky is not a widget;

Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any information on your desktop.

Conky has more than 300 built in objects, including support for:
                a plethora of OS stats (uname, uptime, CPU usage, mem usage, disk usage, "top" like process stats, and network monitoring, just to name a few)
                built in IMAP and POP3 support
                built in support for many popular music players (MPD, XMMS2, BMPx, Audacious)
                can be extended using built in Lua support, or any of your own scripts and programs (tell me more!)
                built in Imlib2 and Cairo bindings for arbitrary drawing with Lua (tell me more!)
                ... and much much more.
                Conky can display this info either as text, or using simple progress bars and graph widgets, with different fonts and colours.
                More... http://conky.sourceforge.net/

I'm not exactly sure what behaviour you desire when referring to 'dockable' but conky is intended to be displayed on the desktop. Conky can though be auto-started at login and stopped after a set time, or stop/started manually with the use of a further script.

See here... http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...light=launcher

With some clever scripting conky can even be made to be 'interactive' to a certain extent. More on this here... http://thepeachyblog.blogspot.com.au...home-page.html

With imaginative design and / or canny skill and placement, most 'conky addicts' seemingly achieve a setup that meets their needs. Images can be used to make it appear as though conky is running on a second panel, or perhaps even as a widget...

More info

http://conky.sourceforge.net/documentation.html
                http://conky.pitstop.free.fr/wiki/in..._page_%28en%29
                Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Originally posted by bra|10n View Post
                  Just to be clear conky is not a widget;
                  Sorry for the mixing up term unlike previously in the thread.

I'm not exactly sure what behaviour you desire when referring to 'dockable'
                  Dockable, as in something that can be docked. If you have ever dragged a widget on to a panel, you know it just snaps in to place..it docks. Plus If you read the original post from HalationEffect, look at the picture he posted, then read my response, I think it is pretty clear.

Comment

Why does it need to be dockable? I havent used conky in a while, but if I remember correctly, you can easily make a conky window act like a dock.

EDIT: Yeah, I think you need to play around with "own-window-type"
                    http://conky.sourceforge.net/config_settings.html

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=78338
                    Last edited by whatthefunk; Jul 02, 2012, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                      Why does it need to be dockable? I havent used conky in a while, but if I remember correctly, you can easily make a conky window act like a dock.
                      Because I want other things in the "side bar(empty horizontal pannel)" such as weather and Veromix. I suppose if it comes down to it I could just shorten the "sidebar" but I wouldn't think it would look very good if I did, for example:
                      short panel - CWP(weather) widget
                      conky
                      short panel - Veromix

Yes I could do CWP and Veromix on the same panel but I prefer that order with veromix being at the bottom and weather at the top.
                      Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Jul 02, 2012, 08:13 AM.

Comment

There are conky scripts for weather, so you could include one of them unless youre hooked on CWP. Veromix...dont think youll have much luck integrating that into a conky script.

Comment

Thanks for the links as I missed your edit until now. I was also concerned about covering up my system clock but I see that is covered in one of those links. As for veromix, I wasn't 100% set on placing it there so I may move it down by the system clock or something. I will take a crack at those conky mods here in a few days as I have more important items to configure first.Again thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                          X