This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't change some system tray icon visibility

The icon in the KDE system tray that indicates available software updates is hidden and won't come out. Clicking the little arrow to show hidden icons reveals that there is a 'KDE Daemon' entry for software updates. System tray settings show that this entry is 'Hidden' and attempting to change that setting does not work. This is also true of the Keyboard Layout icon. I don't care much about the keyboard layout, but the software update notification is useful. As it is I have to periodically click to show the hidden icons just to check if there are updates available.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks.

Turns out that both the 'Keyboard Layout' icon and the 'System Updates' icon are refered to as 'KDE Daemon' (don't ask why - seems wrong to me). So when I tried to hide the keyboard layout icon, it also hid the updates icon. Then I tried to un-hide the updates icon which resulted in corrupting the config file because it ended up with 'KDE Daemon' being listed in both the 'Hidden' and 'Always Visible' categories - clearly an impossible situation. The solution was to manually remove the entry 'KDE Daemon' from both those listings and log-out then -in. Now both the layout and update icons are shown as 'Auto' which is the default setting if it's not listed as either hidden or always shown.

The fix was in file:
    Code:
    ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
    Search for the string 'alwaysShown'. This lists sys tray entries to be 'Always Shown'. Below it is a list of entries that are 'Hidden'. Remove the string 'KDE Daemon' (and any assiociated commas) from both.

Comment

Working...
    X