This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculator Button Configuration

I have Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit installed with Unity, Gnome 3.4 and kde - full. I have tried to set up my keyboard. I was able to get the Mute button working, but I have been unable to Configure the Calculator (simple) and Launcher keys. The Ubuntu and askubuntu sites have not been able to help.

Any ideas how to go about this? Thanks.

What have you tried so far?

Comment

1. I tried the kickoff menu typing 'shortcuts' - KCalc – KDE's default calculator. Custom Shortcuts, right-clicked on the box to the left, select New → Global Shortcut → Command/URL. Gave it a name 'Calc', went to Trigger tab, picked a key, then went to Action tab and wrote kcalc there.

2. Settings → Configure Shortcuts... menu. I tried to configure the calculator button from there.

3. I right clicked the desktop and get 3 different choices for a calculator and chose the appropriate simple one I want enter the key under command.

None of these worked. By the way, I would love to know how to configure the Win key to open the KDE Menu.

Thanks for any help - I prefer the simple calculator but will take any, I'm not picky, other keys can come later. I am a little surprised I need to go to this much trouble. I haven't used KDE since Mandrake 9.3. The hardest issue back then was getting Java up and running!
      Last edited by slopechz50; Jun 19, 2012, 05:57 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

It could be that the calculator key on your keyboard isn't being detected. I don't have a keyboard with extra keys, so I can't try it myself.

Regarding Kickoff's shortcut... Alt+F1 is already assigned. You can change that by right-clicking the "K" and opening the Application Launcher Settings window. Note that the Meta key is actuallya modifer, so you'll have to assign it along with something else, perhaps Meta+Space.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. I don't understand why certain keys are not detected. I have tried every flavor of Linux under the sun with never a problem like this.

Comment

You could check if the calculator key is being detected by opening a Konsole window and running xev. (I think this command is installed by default.)

Then press the calculator key. In the output you should see data for the key event - I get
            Code:
            KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x9200001,
                root 0x15d, subw 0x0, time 123773980, (595,356), root:(599,418),
                state 0x0, keycode 148 (keysym 0x1008ff1d, [B]XF86Calculator[/B]), same_screen YES,
                XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
                XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
                XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x9200001,
                root 0x15d, subw 0x0, time 123774096, (595,356), root:(599,418),
                state 0x0, keycode 148 (keysym 0x1008ff1d, [B]XF86Calculator[/B]), same_screen YES,
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Testing setting a custom shortcut - global - command/URL as you suggested, I find that I can set the calculator key (it shows as "Launch (1)" in the trigger - shortcut area) - but it does not have any effect. Other keys e.g. meta-shift-n do correctly call up kcalc.

I don't know why it's called "Launch (1)" ... nor whether this mis-match with what xev calls it may be something to do with the failure to launch.

Comment

I would hazard a guess that either KDE's Input Actions service or keyboard daemon are doing some kind of translation. For instance, my T520 has annoying "back" and "forward" buttons to the left and right of the up arrow key. While xev actually shows these as distinct keys, KDE sees them to be the equivalent to Alt+Left and Alt+Right.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  It could be that the calculator key on your keyboard isn't being detected. I don't have a keyboard with extra keys, so I can't try it myself.

Regarding Kickoff's shortcut... Alt+F1 is already assigned. You can change that by right-clicking the "K" and opening the Application Launcher Settings window. Note that the Meta key is actuallya modifer, so you'll have to assign it along with something else, perhaps Meta+Space.
                  That works. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                    You could check if the calculator key is being detected by opening a Konsole window and running xev. (I think this command is installed by default.)

Then press the calculator key. In the output you should see data for the key event - I get
                    Code:
                    KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x9200001,
                        root 0x15d, subw 0x0, time 123773980, (595,356), root:(599,418),
                        XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 

KeyRelease event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x9200001,
                        root 0x15d, subw 0x0, time 123774096, (595,356), root:(599,418),
                    Well that explains it. There is no calculator detected when pressing Launch (1) key when running xev in Konsole.

Comment

I guess there is nothing to do to fix this, but I do appreciate everyone's help.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                        I would hazard a guess that either KDE's Input Actions service or keyboard daemon are doing some kind of translation.
                        Any idea where you would check for or diagnose this?

Comment

I'm not really sure. I wonder whether the folks at the KDE forum might be more tuned into this? Try there...

Comment

Well, I ran xev again and look what I got...

KeyRelease event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x8800001,
                            root 0xd8, subw 0x0, time 2377228, (1523,39), root: (1525,62),
                            state 0x10, keycode 148 (keysym 0x1008ff1d, XF86Calculator), same_screen YES,

Not sure what do next.

Comment

Have you tried using the KDE menu editor? Apologies if you have, but my scan of the thread didn't see it.

Anyway, right click the K - Edit applications - Utilities - KCalc - Advanced tab shows the current shortcut key, and lets you set it. You must click Save for a change to be actioned. My Mail key now starts the calculator!

Regards, John
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                              X