This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snag after burning DVD-R using k3B :

I recently came across a weird incident after burning some new data ( downloaded movies of .avi format ) on a DVD-R using k3b burning tool. As I reinserted the disc , the device notifier just did not pop up at the corner of the screen to show me the k3b project as burnt on the DVD-R. I selected New Data Project as they were PC DATA .. no converted videos / videos as such . I selected 4x speed to burn , writing mode =Auto , file system =Linux/Unix + Windows . But more amazing was the fact that the burnt projects are being instantly detected in windows xp. Or so to speak previously burnt files using cdburnerxp on a DVD-R media , are being readily recognised by Kubuntu 12.04 ( which is my OS ) at the very insert of the said DVD-R into the burner tray . Really spoilt a good no of DVD-R to resolve this issue .. but to no avail . Any suggesstion to fix this nagging bug would be highly appreciated and would relieve me from hopping to Windows Xp ( I have dual-boot system ) for simple DVD-R burning!!

I express my thanks in advance to all for your kind solutions.

Awaiting for urgent responses!!

Sorry, I don't understand.

You burned this DVD-R on a Kubuntu system with K3B, right?

But more amazing was the fact that the burnt projects are being instantly detected in windows xp.
    On the same machine, or another one? Is this a dual boot machine? Are you running Kubuntu on an XP machine with WUBI or a virtual machine like VMWare Player or Virtual Box?

Or so to speak previously burnt files using cdburnerxp on a DVD-R media , are being readily recognised by Kubuntu 12.04 ( which is my OS ) at the very insert of the said DVD-R into the burner tray
    Are we talking about another DVD-R disc altogether, or the same one? On the same machine, or another one?

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

I am having the same problem, but only when burning DVDs (DVD-R type) with more than 3.8 GB of data on them. Any data that is written above the 3.8 GB limit isn't properly written, although it sometimes can be read in Windows or (in the case of AVIs) on my DVD player. The type of data is unimportant; this behaviour occurs with any data DVD.

It matters not whether I use k3b or k9copy or Brasero or Gnomebaker as the front-end, making me think the problem is with some DVD burning software, such as recent wodim and or genisoimage/growisofs packages of cdrkit. This is the same sort of problem that happened long ago, but didn't happen for me in Lucid. (I am using the same hardware I have successfully used for years).

I went back to my Oneiric installation (I didn't use Maverick or Natty much) and sure enough, the problem is there, too. The behaviour is not just unusable/unrecognisable discs, but freezing once burning reaches 3.9 GB, or an abort, or the mysterious "error 254."

It has crippled burning DVDs above 3.8 GB for me altogether. Interestingly, there is no problem at all burning DVDs with less than 3.8 GB data on them.

Reading the Ubuntu forums I see similar complaints with Brasero on Ubuntu.

Could wodim have gotten screwed up (or genisoimage?)

It is not that easy to install the original cdrtools (cdrecord and mkisofs) in (K)Ubuntu, and I can not figure out where to set k3b to use them even when I do install them.

Another possibility is a recent (Dec 2011) change to libdvdread -- maybe this isn't fixed completely?

libdvdread (4.2.0-1ubuntu3) precise; urgency=low

* Add 103-iforead-tt-srpt-pointerfix.patch: Fix read/write beyond end of
      an array due to using a length value taken from the DVD, which can
      exceed the allocated size, causing a segmentation fault.
      (LP: #894170)
      Last edited by perspectoff; Jun 13, 2012, 10:29 AM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
      and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by perspectoff View Post

It is not that easy to install the original cdrtools (cdrecord and mkisofs) in (K)Ubuntu, and I can not figure out where to set k3b to use them even when I do install them.

Another possibility is a recent (Dec 2011) change to libdvdread -- maybe this isn't fixed completely?

libdvdread (4.2.0-1ubuntu3) precise; urgency=low

* Add 103-iforead-tt-srpt-pointerfix.patch: Fix read/write beyond end of
        an array due to using a length value taken from the DVD, which can
        exceed the allocated size, causing a segmentation fault.
        (LP: #894170)
        you can tell K3b where the program is in K3b>settings>configure k3b>programs on the search path tab list the exact path to the program including it's name .

I dont seem to be experiencing this problem however ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I can see the options but it is not manually changeable...

I got a message back from Trueg (the k3b author) who says it is automated, not configurable...

You have no problems burning more than 4 GB data on to a DVD-R disc? You use the same media in the same way and have no problems? I have seen in KDE Bugs that wodim is used for DVD-R but growisofs is used for DVD+R...
          Last edited by perspectoff; Jun 13, 2012, 10:53 AM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
          and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

I can see the options but it is not manually changeable...
            sorry ......yes I can eddit the listed path's to include the name of the executable but not add new path's...........
            I got a message back from Trueg (the k3b author) who says it is automated, not configurable...

You have no problems burning more than 4 GB data on to a DVD-R disc? You use the same media in the same way and have no problems? I have seen in KDE Bugs that wodim is used for DVD-R but growisofs is used for DVD+R...
            again sorry NO I use DVD+R's ......BUT I have some DVD-R's hear ........am testing this now and will get back in a few min.

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Well yes I have NO problem's with this ..........I just burned 4.2Gig's of data (vids)as a data project on a Maxell-4.7GB-data-DVD-R without any problem and upon reinsertion in to the drive the device notifier popes up giving me the expected options ........however clicking the open in file manager did nothing .....but opening dolphin and clicking the disk in the places panel opens the disk and all vid's are playable .

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	639979

if you would like me to post the output of any commands to help understand this just ask (like program ver. info and the such)

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Frank
                Many thanx for your reply. I have a single machine with dual boot ( windows xp & kubuntu 12.04 ) . Had no problem with burning discs (DVD-R) in windows XP using cdburner xp . To put it in nut shell .... burnt projects on DVD-R using k3B are not being detected in kubuntu 12.04 and now while testing the same on windows xp , its said "Incorrect function , Drive F is not accessible " -- means the windows xp system also finds this inaccessible. Device notifier or Dolphin do not show the burnt projects or locate them as such. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Awaiting for reply.

Warm Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by skymorn View Post
                  Frank
                  and now while testing the same on windows xp , its said "Incorrect function , Drive F is not accessible " -- means the windows xp system also finds this inaccessible. Device notifier or Dolphin do not show the burnt projects or locate them as such. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Awaiting for reply.

Warm Regards.
                  this is making me think that perhaps your DVD drive is starting to malfunction perhaps check it's connections or seating if a laptop....

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    this is making me think that perhaps your DVD drive is starting to malfunction perhaps check it's connections or seating if a laptop....

VINNY
                    thanx vinny ... yeah , i also googled a lot .. & some comments were found to be corraborating to your reply ... but amazing is the fact that the DVD-R burning with cdburner xp has no issue.. it just works... .. so im getting confused how the same drive can behave in 2 different ways .
                    awaiting ur reply.

warm regards.

Comment

I have seen the same thing anecdotally over the years, though I haven't burned one in Windows in a dog's age. Always preceded a drive going south for me, even though the disc opened fine on another machine.

Two different sets of tools (or more!) interacting in their own ways with the same hardware can have different results. Heck I used to get different results by changing brands of disks, it was a mess when I had two burners in a system, and had to remember which cd or dvd disc burned with less coasters in which drive lol.

Comment

Originally posted by skymorn View Post
                        Frank
                        Many thanx for your reply. I have a single machine with dual boot ( windows xp & kubuntu 12.04 ) . Had no problem with burning discs (DVD-R) in windows XP using cdburner xp . To put it in nut shell .... burnt projects on DVD-R using k3B are not being detected in kubuntu 12.04 and now while testing the same on windows xp , its said "Incorrect function , Drive F is not accessible " -- means the windows xp system also finds this inaccessible. Device notifier or Dolphin do not show the burnt projects or locate them as such. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Awaiting for reply.

Warm Regards.
                        Do you perchance have k3b set to burn at maximum speed? If so, try setting the speed to something relatively low, like 4x and see if the problem exists. It could be an issue with burning and the particular brand of dvd-r you are using.

Comment

Working...
                        X