This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Srware's Iron browser in Kubuntu 12.04

I am trying to install Srware's Iron browser in Kubuntu 12.04. I downloaded the deb file for version 19.0.1100-0 and it appeared to install normally and Kubuntu placed it on the application menu correctly. Nothing happens when the menu item is clicked. Anyone know how to get it working?

19.0.1100-0 is the Windows version I believe. The Linux version is 17.0.1000.0 available from here.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      19.0.1100-0 is the Windows version I believe. The Linux version is 17.0.1000.0 available from here.
      The link you placed in your reply is the one I used. The web page lists version 17.0.1000.0 but the details inside the deb file list version 19.0.1100-0. Whichever version number is correct I can't get it to run.

Comment

New Iron-Version: 19.1100.0 Stable for Linux

http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3755

Downloads for Debian-based distributions (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint etc.):
        http://www.srware.net/downloads/iron.deb (32-Bit)
        http://www.srware.net/downloads/iron64.deb (64-Bit)

Comment

http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopi...p=13212#p13212

Solved ! I opened the Ubuntu main menu launcher properties . I then deleted and retyped the launch command "usr/share/iron/iron" and was able to start Iron which has been working since . I have no idea why this worked other than a possible lack of conductivity between the icon and the application file . After many installations I happy to have Iron back.

Comment

HI
            I had tried this in an earlier incarnation but didn't get the feel of it.

Being based on the Chrome open source material I rather expected the look and feel of "Chrome" but was surprised to see that it is basically the basic browser.

This latest version seems to have some of the things that I didn't really understand worked out.

One critical function for me is that I need to, at various times, be able to download a video file that is compatible with Microsith Media Player at the college and also to be able to view it at home.

The JDownloader is, shall we say, rather "fine grained", in terms of the average user and so that might turn average users off from it, if they want to download videos.

The FF exetnsions are really rather no-brainers for this function, but....given that the Iron browser is all about security I can see the reasoning behind the fine grain control.

But, the real big plus for me is that it is just a plain "browser" without the alternate method of approaching favourites as in the normal Chrome browser. I really do applaud the Chrome folks for trying out a different way of doing things and, apparently, a lot of people like it but I guess I'm just too stuck in my ways...

This might be something for people who like the idea of Chrome but don't like the favourites method to try.

So..... I'll fiddle with this some it seems to be a keeper.

Maybe you might bump this thread every once in a while so that people who don't come in very much will have a better chance to see it.

woodsmoke
            Last edited by woodsmoke; Jun 05, 2012, 11:51 AM.
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by ajaxmix View Post
              http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopi...p=13212#p13212

Solved ! I opened the Ubuntu main menu launcher properties . I then deleted and retyped the launch command "usr/share/iron/iron" and was able to start Iron which has been working since . I have no idea why this worked other than a possible lack of conductivity between the icon and the application file . After many installations I happy to have Iron back.
              My problem was a missing library that is installed by default in Ubuntu but is missing from the base install of Kubuntu. The browser runs once the missing library is installed.

I thought Flash would run in Iron since it was a Chromium derivative but I was mistaken. Only Chrome runs the new Pepper (Flash) API. What an ugly move by Adobe and Google.
              Last edited by MatchpointOK; Jun 10, 2012, 01:18 AM.

Comment

it all works for me a stock install on 12.04.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                X