This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to configure Dolphin

In fact, what I want is a good file manager for Linux. I am not difficult; I just want:

- possibility of multi-columns for comparing files in 2 different directories;

- possible settings so as to _always_ have (e.g.) details listed instead of those stupid icons Dolphin persists in showing again every time I change directories;

- possibility of copying or moving files from one directory to another, either by dragging (à la Windows Explorer) or by right-clicking or F-key then choosing a target. By either-or, I mean both possible.

I do not understand which way Kubuntu is going on this matter; the fate of Krusader seems unclear.

Any help with configuring Dolphin, in which I can find no settings, would be appreciated. Much thanks in advance.
    Last edited by joneall; May 17, 2012, 02:46 AM. Reason: Problem resolved.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Originally posted by joneall View Post
    - possibility of multi-columns for comparing files in 2 different directories
    Split-screen view:

- possible settings so as to _always_ have (e.g.) details listed instead of those stupid icons Dolphin persists in showing again every time I change directories;
    Wrench | Configure Dolphin | General page:

- possibility of copying or moving files from one directory to another, either by dragging (à la Windows Explorer) or by right-clicking or F-key then choosing a target. By either-or, I mean both possible.
    Both are possible now. An example of your second method -- right-click a file and follow the menus:

Comment

Great! I had not seen the wrench in the corner. Too busy looking for words...

I did not get the same thing as you when I right-click on a file. I do not see delete, copy to or move to (I really want the last two items). and instead of "Paste clipboard contents", I see "Paste one file".

But I just found them in Configure Dolphin > General > Context Menuj. Great!

And it remembs the last few target folders instead of obliging me to go thru them all again. Wonderful! I am converted.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Wonderful! I am converted.
        Resistance is futile

Comment

Great! I had not seen the wrench in the corner. Too busy looking for words...
          From my customization notes:
          9. Dolphin - has settings button on far right of toolbar!!!!!

It took me a while to find that, quite stuck cursing dolphin till I did.:roll:
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Wrench/Menubar

From the KDE 4.5 onwards:

http://ppenz.blogspot.com/
            --> http://ppenz.blogspot.com/2011/03/menu-bars.html

...Since the release of Dolphin with 4.5 I try to strive for a cleaner and less cluttered default setup and now with having no menu bar...Before the complaints "I want my menu bar back" start: Of course it is possible to enable the traditional menu bar :-)...
            Default shortcut: Ctrl+M Show menubar.

Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
            - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              Resistance is futile
              Indeed (and a bump-worthy +1)
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

SteveRiley -

Thanks for the walkthrough on how to have the same view in all directories in Dolphin. I wanted to know how to do it, but never got around to posting the question!

Comment

Same here. Great thread!
                  "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Working...
                  X