Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fintan@fintanws2:~/Downloads/Vmware$ sudo sh VMware-Player-4.0.3-703057.x86_64.bundle --console
    [sudo] password for fintan:
    Extracting VMware Installer...done.
    fintan@fintanws2:~/Downloads/Vmware$
    Then nothing>

Edit: I don't want to impose, but if you have teamviewer we could set up a DT share session and you could have a direct look. what do you think?
    Last edited by Fintan; May 21, 2012, 01:39 AM.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Of course, my friend. PM me with contact details.

Comment

Did you guys get this sorted? We just got a 3.4 kernel in siduction, and the only VMware issue was failure of the vmblock module to build. The edit to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmblock-only/linux/filesystem.c, followed by retarring it, as described on the Weltall blog, worked perfectly here.

Comment

Still waiting for Fintan.

Comment

He's 9 hours ahead of you Steve -- it's long past Miller time there! :-)
            Last edited by dibl; May 21, 2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

LOL. But a beer in one hand leaves the other hand free, doesn't it? So that's no excuse!

Comment

Sorry Steve, I was away on business for a few days. Tonight I'll be back around 22:00 my time, otherwise tommorrow is a holiday. I'll PM you.PLease let me know when is a good time for you.
                Cheers
                Fintan
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hey Steve, thanks again for helping me out on this issue last night. Since we didn't get vmplayer to work with kernel 3.4 I was wondering if it could be a question of how the 3.4 kernel "sees" my hardware in comparison to 3.2. That wierd message I get sometimes when trying to run my win7 vm from vmplayer: "The virtual machine is busy." is also strange. sometimes it comes up sometimes the vmplayer screen just stays black. Maybe I should ask the vm forum.
                  Last edited by Fintan; May 31, 2012, 12:44 AM.
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan View Post
                    Hey Steve, thanks again for helping me out on this issue last night. Since we didn't get vmplayer to work with kernel 3.4 I was wondering if it could be a question of how the 3.4 kernel "sees" my hardware in comparison to 3.2. That wierd message I get sometimes when trying to run my win7 vm from vmplayer: "The virtual machine is busy." is also strange. sometimes it comes up sometimes the vmplayer screen just stays black. Maybe I should ask the vm forum.
                    I enjoyed our discussions while waiting for compiles and reboots. It's always good to get to know forum members better.

I've seen that "busy" message only once before: when a VM failed to shut down properly. Had to reboot. Never did investigate further.

A couple thoughts... if you boot back into 3.4, will the player start your VM properly? Now that miscellaneous config files are sorted with a proper 3.2 execution, I wonder if it would just work. Alternately, I can provide you with copies of my compiled 3.4 modules if you'd like, just let me know.

Comment

Hey steve I enjoyed our talkl as well

Player is running fine in 3.2

But in 3.4 I get that message so I did some googling for
                      The virtual machine is busy.
                      I tried renaming /vmware2/win7/cache that didn't work.

I also found this:
                      http://communities.vmware.com/message/1568091

I tried:
                      Code:
                      /etc/init.d/vmware stop
                      but my konsole locks up with this:
                      fintan@fintanws2:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/vmware stop
                      Stopping VMware services:
                      VMware Authentication Daemon done
                      I know I can run vmplayer from kernel 3.2 but this is nagging me
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

1. Reboot back to 3.2
                        2. Delete everything in /lib/modules/3.4.0-030400-generic/misc
                        3. Grab the files from the directory hierarchy at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xq5ssuv0wf2mndv/Rl_SfOmbYI
                        4. Copy to /lib/modules/3.4.0-030400-generic/misc
                        5. Reboot to 3.4

Does it work? Honestly, I'd be surprised if it does...

Comment

Does it work? Honestly, I'd be surprised if it does...
                          LOL It is an advancement of sorts. Now vmplayer just crashes

Edit: Bthw kernel 3.4 boot still locks at shutdown/reboot. Pain.
                          Last edited by Fintan; May 31, 2012, 08:22 AM.
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

This is on your Pavilion dv6? That's a nice computer -- the 3.4 kernel should not be having such problems with it. Have you looked at the kernel log after booting? There must be something not working as it should, which might or might not be relevant to the VMware issue.

Comment

Hey Dible,
                              I just had a look but am no expert, maybe you or steve can point me in the right direction.

Since the file is pretty big I can't upload as attch. I uploaded it to my website as a file:
                              Here

Hope you guys can cet it.

Thanks for the help
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

This looks like a crash on one CPU core:

Code:
                                May 31 22:06:46 fintanws2 kernel: [   23.315075] /dev/vmmon[1246]: Module vmmon: registered with major=10 minor=165
                                May 31 22:06:46 fintanws2 kernel: [   23.315085] /dev/vmmon[1246]: Initial HV check: anyNotCapable=0 anyUnlocked=0 anyEnabled=1 anyDisabled=0
                                May 31 22:06:46 fintanws2 kernel: [   23.315092] /dev/vmmon[1246]: HV check: anyNotCapable=0 anyUnlocked=0 anyEnabled=1 anyDisabled=0
                                May 31 22:06:46 fintanws2 kernel: [   23.315094] /dev/vmmon[1246]: Module vmmon: initialized
                                May 31 22:06:46 fintanws2 kernel: [   23.315103] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffff8800fff6ec98
                                May 31 22:06:46 fintanws2 kernel: [   23.315133] IP: [<ffffffff810b43e8>] module_put+0x28/0x90
                                May 31 22:06:46 fintanws2 kernel: [   23.315156] PGD 1c0c063 PUD 0 
                                May 31 22:06:46 fintanws2 kernel: [   23.315169] Oops: 0002 [#1] SMP 
                                May 31 22:06:46 fintanws2 kernel: [   23.315183] CPU 0 
                                May 31 22:06:46 fintanws2 kernel: [   23.315191] Module ......
                                Apparently caused by the vmmon module -- more than that I cannot say.

I also notice that your laptop seems to spend a lot of time looping through many wifi association attempts -- not sure what that's all about, and it's unrelated to VMware, for sure.

EDIT: If you google "BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ff" you will get a pile of hits -- this does seem to indicate some kind of kernel issue, although I haven't read them all and can't say exactly how it relates to the current Kubuntu kernel.
                                Last edited by dibl; May 31, 2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X