This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn On LibreOffice Spell Check?

LibreOffice doesn't seem to spell check anything so when I type dkjflslksdf it just leaves it.

Not sure how to correct this...

Spell check works for me, LibreOffice Writer LibreOffice 3.5.2.2 Build ID: 350m1(Build:202). Check Tools > Options > Language Settings > Writing Aids to see if you have the necessary items and that they are checked.
    Attached Files
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I checked and still nothing
      Attached Files

Comment

Dell Optiplex 330, 1.6GHz Dual CPU, 2Gbs Ram.
        Hello, just a point of interest, I have just done a fresh install of Kubuntu 12.04, (I like it a lot) and I had various minor problems with LibreOffice, which I have now cured. Using the Muon Package installer, I found that the 12.04 installation image that I downloaded had installed LibreOffice-KDE, Office Productivity Suite--KDE Integration. The normal LibreOffice - Office Productivity Suite was not. I installed the normal LibreOffice Suite and removed the KDE Integration version. The problems I was having just vanished.
        Hope this helps, Arthur Stennett. (not young)

Comment

I find that LibreOffice underlines errors but doesn't automatically correct them; pressing F7 brings up the usual manual spellcheck window. Also, in Snowhog's suggestion (Tools > Options > Language Settings > Writing Aids) I unchecked other dictionaries - my setup had Slvenian and US English checked as well as UK English, perhaps confusing the spellchecker?

Only just installed 12.04, seems great so far; maybe I'll find the autocorrect option with some digging!

Owen

Comment

So it turns out that Libre Office can't do Canadian English Spell checking. I changed every setting I could find to to USA English and now everything works.

Hopefully they fix this so I can type awesome words like colour and aboot properly. :P

Comment

Originally posted by wrender View Post
              Hopefully they fix this so I can type awesome words like colour and aboot properly. :P

English (USA) is the only language on the list with the ABC icon shown...

I wonder why that is
              Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Hi all...

What does "enhanced language support" do?

Regards...
                Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by bra|10n View Post

English (USA) is the only language on the list with the ABC icon shown...

I wonder why that is
                  Not so in my LibreOffice. All of the English languages show the ABC icon (indicating spelling checking).

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    Not so in my LibreOffice. All of the English languages show the ABC icon (indicating spelling checking).
                    So I guess I need to install some libs? Any ideas which?

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

All the packages that come up in Muon searching on just the word spell by status Installed are the following:

libaspell15
                      enchant
                      libenchant1c2a
                      aspell
                      libkdeui5
                      libhunspell-1.3-0
                      aspell-en
                      dictionaries-common

Comment

Thanks Snowhog.
                        I have all in that list here plus libgtkspell0 dragged in by Inkscape...
                        Using version LibreOffice 3.5.2.2 Build ID: 350m1(Build:202) here

Comment

LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
                          Build ID: 350m1(Build:202)

Same.

Comment

I checked that everythings enabled in L.O, looked around SystemSettings also. I can only have spell checking for US English.
                            No matter, a solution or explanation will eventuate...

Comment

Tools -> Spelling -> Options -> Check spelling as I type.

That should do the trick.

Peter.

Comment

Working...
                              X