This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gparted only works from terminal

Installed gparted through muon. When I launch it from kicker, it starts, asks for root password, trys to run but times out. I see the icon in the tray briefly. But if I run it from terminal. it runs fine.
    Can anyone else confirm?
    Dell Inspiron 531/AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 4GB RAM/GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Kubuntu 16.04
    "I have a problem with the fact that they just make really 3rd rate products." Steve Jobs on Microsoft. From “Triumph of the Nerds"

I don't use gparted (anymore), I prefer KDE partitionmanager...but to troubleshoot your gparted issues, what's the exact command the menu item runs (you can check by opening the menu editor and check the item for gparted)...you can also try to run that command from a terminal to see if there's an error output.

For example, if the menu item calls something like "pkexec gparted", try that from the CLI.

Comment

mike@mike-Inspiron-531:~$ gparted-pkexec
      No protocol specified
      No protocol specified

(gpartedbin:5625): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
      ===============
      I can just as easy switch to kde partitionmgr but would like to know why the gparted shortcut isn't working.
      Last edited by ICMike; May 01, 2012, 05:54 PM.
      Kubuntu 16.04
      "I have a problem with the fact that they just make really 3rd rate products." Steve Jobs on Microsoft. From “Triumph of the Nerds"

Comment

Originally posted by ICMike View Post
        mike@mike-Inspiron-531:~$ gparted-pkexec
        I can just as easy switch to kde partitionmgr but would like to know why the gparted shortcut isn't working.
        Probably related to the gparted-pkexec executable, it could be a generic policykit issue or something specific to running it in KDE.

You should be able to work around the issue by changing the command in menu editor to "kdesudo gparted"...bypasing gparted-pkexec

Comment

Yes that worked. Thanks.
          Kubuntu 16.04

Comment

Working...
          X