X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unity Sucks

Hi Woodsmoke:

I make a mistake and downloaded 12.4 desktop which of course uses Unity for it's desktop. I did this for a company that wanted to use Linux and did I have problems getting people to use it; they haven't and are staying with M$. I should have downloaded Xubuntu server since that is what they needed. Unity just made me pull my hair out and gave me bad nightmares for sure. So far a very bad choise for Ubuntu.http://www.kubuntuforums.net/images/smilies/huh.gif
    UNITY just SUCKS
    Tabko-00
    Last edited by Tabko-00; Sep 17, 2012, 06:04 PM. Reason: minor addin

I don't know if Unity sucks, I think it does have it's place in the list of available desktops.
    For the foreseeable future that's somewhere near the bottom.

For the time I would have messed up KDE and I still want a GUI to fix it I have Enlightenment (E17) installed as a rescue, side by side with KDE,.

In this day and age KDE is the only full-featured desktop that just works.

Comment

you can remove unity and use gnome-fallback instead .....just google it .

I installed Ubuntu-12.04 to my testing partition and found unity did not sute me ......or play well with the compiz effects I wanted to play with ,so I removed it and use the gnome-fallback witch is the classic gnome we know .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Tabko-00
        I just installed the latest and greatest Ubu ( with Unity) on a lappy for my lab assistant, and one can choose at login which desktop to use.

If you still have the OS on the machine, and could tell folks the problems, possibly someone could help.

Something else to consider, if they want a "normal" desktop would be to try SuperOS. It comes with all the bells and whistles and was kind of my "alongside OS" with Kubu for the last several years. However, the hard drive crashed and I just didn't reinstall.

It does default to Unity but again one can choose the Gnome 2 desktop.

SuperOS has always, and I mean always, found whatever hardware I hooked it to and provided the Compiz desktop which I used to use a LOT, for heavy duty work, applications, office, etc.

You mentioned Xbuntu server, SuperOS used to have a server version also, but I don't see one on the homepage .

woodsmoke
        Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 16, 2012, 05:23 PM.
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi Woodsmoke
          Well, the problem is that the people have a video shop and just didn't want or need a woopty-do desktop. Most work about 90 or more percent was taking camera video output and doing conversions where ffmpeg does a very effective job using the CLI. Unity is an Anti-CLI application. Much of the video source was over 20 GB's per job. When first brought up unity doesn't have a terminal pro on the desktop and it's hard to find where it's at if one doesn't know where to look which was my case. I felt like a fool for sure. That was just the begining of my problems, I don't want to think about the rest.
          Tabko-00

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            Hi Tabko-00

You mentioned Xbuntu server, SuperOS used to have a server version also, but I don't see one on the homepage .

woodsmoke
            Hi Woodsmoke:

The Xubuntu server is great without a lot of unwanted bloat. Simple GUI and fast file handle. They can load up a 1 TB drive and do batch conversions to a second drive no problems.
            Tabko-00
            Last edited by Tabko-00; Sep 17, 2012, 06:06 PM. Reason: clean up my mistakes

Comment

Working...
            X