X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relief as serial distro hopper finds new home

Hi all. First post.

Just wanted to post up and say a big thank you to the community for such a fantastic release. I haven't used KDE as my main desktop since the 3.x releases, not because I don't like KDE or was against the 4x changes, but because I seemingly got swept up in the wave of hype over the multifarious Gnome releases. But in recent times, I seemed to have rediscovered that KDE was always my preferred DE, and I think this has something to do with not especially the failings of other DE's, but rather in the amazing improvements to KDE. It's not perfect, and I've had a couple of crashes or freezes, but there's no doubt in my mind that KDE is simply the best, most flexible and feature complete desktop there is bar none anywhere else. And it's beautiful to boot.

But that doesn't mean anything if the OS is no good. I've used quite a few now over the last year or so, as I've tried to find one I can call home again. I've lost count. But what's funny is Kubuntu is the obvious choice for an ex-Ubuntu (Gnome) user, and yet here it was, last on my list.

But luckily I've found it now, and I am loving every minute of it. KDE has changed a lot and I'm still discovering new things to tinker with, but it's brilliant fun and to me it is showcased nowhere better than here on Kubuntu. In my opinion, not openSUSE, Sabayon, Fedora or Chakra have as appealing a package as Kubuntu. If only it wasn't so invisible. I hope Blue Systems fix this, as it's my main bug!

So it's great to finally stop having to install a new distro every 4 days, trying to find the seemingly impossible thing that eluded me the more I searched. This is a keeper, and it been a while since I've honestly felt that with any conviction.
    PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Yeh it's pretty awesome. I'm not moving again.

Comment

Agreed! I installed 12.04 LTS while waiting for openSuse 12.2 to get the bugs worked out of it. I am so far impressed with the stability of the nouveau Gallium driver here. It has always locked n froze of me under other distro's, but so far its stable and effects like box/cube switching seem to work fine. Who knows maybe I can skip lil susie for a while longer. Gonna run the updates and see if the praise should continue here!

Comment

I use to love openSUSE too. It's a brilliant distro. I hope they solve their issues there. Their Gnome 3 edition is awesome. I wasn't so keen on the KDE edition of SUSE.

Nice to know I'm not alone here though. Like I say I've had one or two crashes, but nothing serious and nothing to send me running away! People on forums around the net seem to think it's dark days ahead for Kubuntu and KDE since Canonical stopped funding and people such as Jonathan Riddell and Peter Penz have moved on. But to me people leave projects all the time and that doesn't spell the end. Surely that's the strength of open software!

But I digress. Kubuntu is awesome, and I'm not shifting.
        PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Comment

Welcome to the Kubuntu Community!

Originally posted by K-Project View Post
          People on forums around the net seem to think it's dark days ahead for Kubuntu and KDE since Canonical stopped funding and people such as Jonathan Riddell and Peter Penz have moved on. But to me people leave projects all the time and that doesn't spell the end. Surely that's the strength of open software!

But I digress. Kubuntu is awesome, and I'm not shifting.
          J. Riddell (and many others) still lwork on Kubuntu daily, and is now employed by Blue Systems to work on...Kubuntu! Blue Systems actually employes a few people now actually that work on Kubuntu and Net Runner (a Kubuntu fork). So, in actuality, tehre are more paid dev's working on Kubuntu now than when J.R. was the lone wolf employed by Canonical
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
          X