This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DigiKam

This is a rah-rah post more than anything else. I tried, for the first time, to download my photos into Kubuntu 12.04. I became very frustrated. First I assumed that Kubuntu would recognise my camera, as I have a USB hookup and I figured all I had to do was plug it in, turn it on and gwenview would do the rest. No luck. Then I wanted to download Picasa for Linux, as I was used to it from Windows and I knew it would work, only to find that Google no longer supported it. Drat! Okay, what do I do. I went to my favorite how-to site, http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntuguide a users guide for Precise. I was shown how to make Dolphin recognise my camera. Okay, part of the job done. Only one problem, in order to do it that way, I have to copy the photo files twice (renaming once to prevent overwrites) in order to have the photos where I want them, namely in my photos folder. Like the dummy I am I had failed to read all of the Precise documentation before charging ahead with my fiddling. Once I had read all of the article, it suggested using DigiKam for basic organising, editing and viewing photos. So I decided to try that. I went to my launcher and found a DigiKam configuration tool and started it. Oh no, my camera wasn't listed in the menu, and DigiKam wouldn't recognise it. I went back to the website and they posted CLI instructions to install DigiKam with all of it's plugins: "sudo apt-get install digikam kipi-plugins digikam-doc". Abra-kadabra, presto-changeo everything worked like a charm. DigiKam makes Picasa look like a childs toy. I'm so glad I went to the effort. Once again, I'm amazed at the resources available through open source. If you are new to Linux and reading this, you may be thinking, "What a pain to go through", but the first time I tried to set this up in Windows; I spent several days before I had a basic tool I could use. I spent roughly an hour on this. I could have spent half that time if I could be bothered with reading all the instructions before trampling willy-nilly into it.

capt-zero

As a semi-professional photographer who takes hundreds of photos per event, I think DigiKam is the best thing since sliced bread. I don't know what I would do without it!

Comment

For a long time DigiKam recognized my Kodak DX7630. Then it stopped doing so.

Rather than fight with it I pulled the SD card and stuck it into the SD slot on my Acer 7739 and up popped the files in Dolphin. I dragged and dropped them into the appropriate ~/Pictures sub directory. When Digikam started up it re-indexed the directory. Turned out to be just as easy as using DigiKam's import feature.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        For a long time DigiKam recognized my Kodak DX7630. Then it stopped doing so.

Rather than fight with it I pulled the SD card and stuck it into the SD slot on my Acer 7739 and up popped the files in Dolphin. I dragged and dropped them into the appropriate ~/Pictures sub directory. When Digikam started up it re-indexed the directory. Turned out to be just as easy as using DigiKam's import feature.
        I tend to do this as well, except I import them directly from the sd card into digikam.

Comment

Yeah, I use the Dolphin camera:/ trick for most of my cameras.

However, in the checkout line of my local bagel shoppe / software outlet (Big Lots) was an SDcard to USB adapter for about $4 (less, if I used my foodstamps).

If the camera isn't recognised immediately for some reason when I plug it in, it's easier to just use the adapter and put the SDcard into it directly. Besides, I have lots of other devices with SD cards, too -- MP3 players, video cameras, ebook readers, Wii gaming console, tablets, cell phones, etc.

Rather than fiddle with all of them, that little $4 adapter sure comes in handy... then photo imports can go directly through Dolphin or DigiKam.
          Last edited by perspectoff; May 14, 2012, 12:27 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
          and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
          X