This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems installing 12.04 on my Presario F700

To get the live CD to boot all the way, I had to go into options and select "nomodeset." Unfortunately that did not translate over into the actual *install* so when my laptop rebooted, it was screwed up. I'm working on the 4th try of installing Precise Pangolin, and I've at least got to the point where it will boot to a desktop, but that's as far as it goes. I have to switch to a virtual terminal window and work there.

Might I suggest that someone take a look at the installer and add some intelligence to it, such that if someone boots the live CD with the "nomodeset" flag, that would be carried over into the grub config for the install I mean, what're the odds that you WON'T need to boot "nomodeset" once you've installed?

Signed -- frustrated user!

Ok, I give up. I'm going back to Ocelot. At least my laptop was useable then. Under Pangolin, I can't use it at all. The desktop barely responds, and if I switch to a VT to do something like install an app (because I can't GET a feaking Konsole window, thank you very much!) KWin crashes and I have this HUGE ABRT window taking up 1/4 of my screen. Not to mention the "this folder is empty" window behind it taking up slightly more than 1/4 of the screen.
    Someone let me know when Pangolin is "ready for Prime Time".

Comment

Working...
    X