This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This post brought to you by...

Kubuntu Active running on my Samsung 700t tablet!

It has some rough spots... the 64-bit build has problems popping up the virtual keyboard in some apps, so I'm running 32-bit PAE. X crapped out until I installed xorg-edgers. Kmail mobile works fine with Gmail; had to add the new akonadi-google thing and akonadi-console to get calendar and contacts to show up. UEFI is completely disabled and the SSD is MBR, not GPT. Most of all, finger scrolling works as expected!

I am quite literally astounded. Plasma Active Two is very nice. I'm gonna like this. Typing on a virtual keyboard truly sucks, but I don't expect to use this thing for writing anyway.

Bluetooth keyboard works!

Comment

GOOD ON! SR!

Welll.....dunnno....about the not typing on it.

One of my lab assistants types like 80 wopm on a regular keyboard and types faster on her Ipad. dunno.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        Bluetooth keyboard works!
        Doesn't happen to have... nevermind, SCREENSHOTS pls!
        Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Proof, you ask? Later today I'll set up a video camera next to the tablet and record a walkthrough of the UI.

Comment

Is this it? http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series...5725960&sr=8-2

11.6" screen and 7 hours battery life?
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 29, 2012, 01:08 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That's the one. Battery life probably won't be seven hours, given that Linux in general seems more power hungry than Windows.

I'm rather impressed (and feel somewhat smug, heh) that Plasma Active on Kubuntu is the only thing that actually shows any signs of working on this thang. Regular Ubuntu is useless, as it can't do basic finger-scrolling. None of the other Plasma Active builds (Mer, Meego, Balsam) seem to understand the touchscreen, either. So maybe I won't hock this tablet on eBay just yet.

That said, I'm not really sure what I'd do with it. My Nook remains a better experience for lounging in bed and reading -- whether books, magazines, or websites. When I'm working in web forums, I really want a keyboard as my primary interface, because fast and accurate typing is critical. The larger point being, what are large tablets good for, really?

(Video coming later this evening, when it's quieter in the house.)

Comment

Proof, you ask? Later today I'll set up a video camera next to the tablet and record a walkthrough of the UI.
                Not proof

Interested in other than a 'promotional' overview of plasma-active.
                Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

I really want a keyboard as my primary interface, because fast and accurate typing is critical. The larger point being, what are large tablets good for, really?
                  Exactly, and the fact that my hands and fingers are too big for any virtual keyboard I've tried. On my iPod Touch 4th Gen (which I keep in my pocket charged up solely for the use of my 6 year old grandson) I have to use the edge of my little finger, which is the only one small enough that it won't hit more than one key at the same time.

When I compared the Iconica A500 I was seriously considering with my wife's Acer Aspire One (10.1" screen, 250GB HD, 3 USB ports, and HTMI port, stereo sound, 5 hours battery, 4GB RAM) I couldn't justify spending more than what the Acer cost ($350) only to have to spend even more to get peripherals that would just bring the A500 up to the capabilities of the One, and the One's keyboard was attached and folded together nicely with its display. IF I hadn't found this 17" Acer Aspire 7739 for $350 I would have bought another One.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I tried using my large tablet as a trotline weight, but it floats and kept getting snagged. It is just the right thickness for a pier support for my deck though...

Comment

Originally posted by capt-zero View Post
                      I tried using my large tablet as a trotline weight, but it floats and kept getting snagged. It is just the right thickness for a pier support for my deck though...
                      If it floats then it would be just right as a bobber for whale fishing!

Comment

Working...
                      X