This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon broken - can't upgrade to 12.04

Muon appears to be broken on my system. I have it set to tell me if there is a new version available, but it resolutely refuses to do so. I want to upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 without having to reintstall. There should be a way to get Muon, or Synaptic (which I normally use) to do this. However, I can't figure out how.

So, anyone know how to get either of these programs to see the repositories for Precise Pangolin and offer an upgrade?

Failing that, what commands do I need to move to 12.04 from 11.10 using apt? I'm assuming that I'll need one or two to change the repository, update the package list, then apt-get dist-upgrade or similar, right?

Thanks.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

You will first want to disable any non-ubuntu repositories you may have (if you have medibuntu, you can leave it active). You can do this from Muon Package Manager. This will update the package cache. Then see PreciseUpgrades
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog:

Using Muon updater, I did as directed and disabled the non-canonical repositories. Checked for updates. None found (I had just done an update today, and rebooted). Checked for updates again. No message appears telling me that a new version is available.

Strange.

What next?

FWIW, Muon won't start from the kmenu. I can start if from a console with sudo muon-updater, which is what I did.

Frank.

Comment

Launch Muon Package Manager. Click on the Updates tab and set Release upgrade to Long term support releases only then click on Close. Close Muon Package Manager.

Open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        To ensure all installed packages are updated.
        Then type:
        Code:
        sudo do-release-upgrade

Comment

Snowhog:

Thanks for the information. As it turns out, when I rebooted a few minutes ago after copying my /home directory to an external eSATA disk, I got the notification of the upgrade. I started that. Now we'll see how successful it is, or whether I need to install fresh anyway.

I'll post back.

Thanks again.

Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
            FWIW, Muon won't start from the kmenu. I can start if from a console with sudo muon-updater, which is what I did.
            You should really be using kdesudo instead of sudo with gui apps....

Comment

You should really be using kdesudo instead of sudo with gui apps....
              Correct. Habit....

Frank.

Comment

Snowhog:

Well, looks like it worked! Muon now starts from the Kmenu as well.

Frank.

Comment

Cool. :cool:

Comment

Working...
                  X