This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu shows that HDD is empty even Windows 7 is installed

So my problem is quite annoying and it is probably some weird hardware problem (in other forums i had feeling it is based to HDD). I would be thankful if somebody had time to help.

So, Kubuntu installation program doesnt regognize that i have Windows 7 installed in HDD. Installation program shows that HDD is 100% empty. Windows 7 is installed by default and this shouldnt be problem. What can i do? I have tried now partition some unlocalled space to HDD - no help at all, HDD is still empty to Kubuntu.

My main specs: Intel Core i7 3610qm, Nvidea 650m GT, 8gb ram and 500gb HDD (ASUS N56VZ).

Please ask anything, i am desperate to get Kubuntu with Windows 7 to this laptop. I dont want to wipe windows.

From within Windows, can you display the details of how the hard disk is setup under Windows?

Have you tried to partition the HD within Windows then get Kubuntu to install on empty partition?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	nimetön2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	640113Click image for larger version

Name:	nimetön.jpg
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	640114

Have you tried to partition the HD within Windows then get Kubuntu to install on empty partition? - Yes, i make 32 GB unlocalled space but i dont format it yet to any format, i think it doesnt help bacause installer doesnt regognize even existing C drive. Should I?

I will upload soon image how installer looks like.

Sorry bad images, here is new ones:

http://aijaa.com/znaoRP
      http://aijaa.com/pI9hPU
      Last edited by vodka80; Sep 30, 2012, 08:46 AM.

Comment

OK heres how installer looks like:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00001.jpg
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	640115

Edit. http://aijaa.com/X5HYcM

Comment

The problem is that you haven't 'created' the partition(s) on the 32 GB of 'un-allocated' space on the primary HDD. You must do that before you install Kubuntu. In the image of the Kubuntu installer, you are opting to use 'Guided - use entire disk'. That means, use any unused 'allocated' space on the partitioned HDD. The 32 GB un-allocated space can't be used -- it isn't part of the "C:" drive.

Get yourself a copy of GParted (a liveCD) and use it to prepare the 32 GB of un-allocated space and then do the installation of Kubuntu. You will want to choose Manual as the Installation type, and opt to put Grub (the boot manager for Kubuntu) on the sdb partition, else you will wipe out your Windows Vista boot loader.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Actually, something does look messed up there. Here are some sample images I found. Ubiquity should be detecting the presence of another operating system.

Here's 9.10:

10.10:

11.10:

The option to install side-by-side / alongside / guided resize (why all the changes to the wording?) is missing. It's been a loooooooong time since I've installed via Ubiquity; I'd imagine that it ought to detect the unallocated portion of the drive just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              Actually, something does look messed up there. Here are some sample images I found. Ubiquity should be detecting the presence of another operating system.

The option to install side-by-side / alongside / guided resize (why all the changes to the wording?) is missing. It's been a loooooooong time since I've installed via Ubiquity; I'd imagine that it ought to detect the unallocated portion of the drive just fine.
              yes it should show the other OS .......but if wile resizing some miner file system corruption occurred it may not .....I would suggest the OP run chkdsk on the drive (from in windows ,that is set it to be run on next boot and then reboot and let it run) then try again AND make the free space a valid partition as the installer may not recognize the free space on the drive if it is not a valid partition!!

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OK, i have done now chkdsk and it DO found errors and repair them (strange is that it have not found anything previously when i ran it), after that i boot Gparted and suprise suprise:

http://aijaa.com/KxFhGv
                http://aijaa.com/HgsBeb

...It claims HDD is empty, if i would done partition, it would go over windows. Next thing i do, i try something with Windows 7 x64 repair disc and report back. I also try make D partition over 32GB unlocalled space.

EDIT: Repair disc - no help, Making new partition, formatting it to FAT32 (Kubuntu should regognize at least this format) - Installer shows there is nothing in HDD - again...

Only way to get both Windows and Kubuntu to same computer is install Kubuntu first and then Windows and then GRUB again? Please help.
                Last edited by vodka80; Oct 01, 2012, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X