Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have had it with Winblows but how do I save my files.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes you can back-up your data to other media providing you are able to connect that media to your computer. i.e. If you use a liveCD or liveDVD to boot up your computer and providing you have a spare DVD-RW drive you can backup your data to several DVD-RW disks.

And the good thing about DVD-RW is that once you have no use for what's on the disk it can be blanked and re-used. I also believe that Brasero can write to a CD or DVD and keep it open. K3B might also have that option but not sure.

I hope that this has answered your question.

Comment

Steve:

I have decided that since its overr 40 Gigs of files then I will wait a few days to get paid again then order a portable hard drive from amazon.com and use that to copy the files.
      Good move. I hate optical media. They are slow, and are easily damaged.

I have an external hard drive adapter that is very useful. USB 2, Fireware, and eSATA. It says that it is for 5 1/4 and 3.5" drives, but it will take a 2.5" laptop drive as well, as the SATA connector is identical. I am away from home at the moment, so don't have it with me, and I can't remember the make. I'll try to remember to give you that info if you need it when we get back again next week.

If you format the external drive as FAT32, you don't end up with any ownership problems when you copy back to your Kubuntu drive. That is all handled transparently by Linux, which assumes that all the files you copy to /home should belong to that user. I use that trick often with a USB stick.

Frank.
      Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
        Steve:

If you format the external drive as FAT32, you don't end up with any ownership problems when you copy back to your Kubuntu drive. That is all handled transparently by Linux, which assumes that all the files you copy to /home should belong to that user. I use that trick often with a USB stick.

Frank.
        Thanks for the tip. I will reformat it to Ext3 or something later so i can copy my \home from my Eee PC and sync them over my AT&T uverse network.

I notice i can't type a capital u. It must be set up as a hotkey for some thing.
        Last edited by steve7233; Sep 26, 2012, 06:08 AM.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

will this drive work with Kubuntu 12.04.01?

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 1.5 TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive STAC1500100
          by Seagate

If I get an answer within 3 hrs and if i decided to order it, i can get on monday! :cool:
          Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

I have and use a Seagate - Expansion 1TB External USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black and it works fine. I also have a Seagate FreeAgent Go 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive ST905003FGA2E1-RK (Silver) and it to works fine.
            Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 29, 2012, 11:59 AM.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I ordered the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 1.5 TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive STAC1500100 for 75.15 that's 69.99 for the drive, 9.68 for super saver shipping an 5.16 Tax 5-8 business days. I couldn't afford to get in on Monday since they would charge a lot for shipping. You should check Amazon.com before you buy something because there is a great chance you will get it cheaper. :cool: I will post more in a few days. Hopefully the notebook install will work better than this broken netbook install. Firefox is all wonky on my ASUS Eee netbook 901. That's this computer.

Comment

I just checked and the last UPS tracking update said that my drive had departed Union city. Union city is about 90 miles away. I'll check again in a few hours. Time to go recharge some brain cells. I mean... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Comment

The hard drive just arrived moments ago! I am going to sut this computer down so I can work on my laptop. I just relized if I put kubuntu on thyis huge drive then I can keep Winblow$ on my notebooks drive and make a dual boot system. I wounder if kubuntu can use it as is or If I will need to reformate it.
                  Last edited by steve7233; Oct 02, 2012, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I had to download the 64 kubuntu 12.04.1 since I only had a 12.04 disk. I uses ISO recorder in Wiblow$. Winblow$ messed up something and when I tried to run ISO recorder it just kept trying to initialize over and over and over and... I uninstalled ISO recorder and Winblow$ told me that a Micro$oft program had tried to install twice and the second install did not succeed! After i uninstalled everything i reinstalled ISO and it burned the disk faster than k3b or whatever its called. I suspect k3b is probably better quality as i have never had a problem from it. Now i will flip the disk and burn my light scribe label on the disk label side. I need to remember to download the linux version so kubuntu can use it, unless the installer does it for me.

FYI the post count on this forum is not updating.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                      After i uninstalled everything i reinstalled ISO and it burned the disk faster than k3b or whatever its called. I suspect k3b is probably better quality as i have never had a problem from it. Now i will flip the disk and burn my light scribe label on the disk label side. I need to remember to download the linux version so kubuntu can use it, unless the installer does it for me.

FYI the post count on this forum is not updating.
                      ISO recorder was probably set to a higher burn speed ,,,,which with a ISO is not good ,you want to burn a ISO at as slow a speed as possible to prevent a missing bit or bite hear or there!!
                      their IS a linux client for light scribe I had it working on my old desktop ,,,but cant remember what it was called,,the installer will not grab it for you though.

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        ISO recorder was probably set to a higher burn speed ,,,,which with a ISO is not good ,you want to burn a ISO at as slow a speed as possible to prevent a missing bit or bite hear or there!!
                        their IS a linux client for light scribe I had it working on my old desktop ,,,but cant remember what it was called,,the installer will not grab it for you though.

VINNY
                        I rembered you can't download a DVD version of yet just the CD version so that's why it seemed so fast. I installed from my DVD. I used my new 1.5 Terra Byte USB 2-3 Segate Hard drive that got from the nice UPS lady a few hours ago. I still have Winblow$ vista home 64 bit on my internal drive. There is an empty folder on the desktop is that normal? a Plasmoid widget. How can an empty Plasmoid widget be created?

I saw a linux version of the Light Scribe software on their downloads page a while back. I don't know if there is a ubuntu package but i'm sure there is a debian package since debian is one of the oldest distros in the solar system -I think NASA uses Linux code on their space probes-

Comment

There is an empty folder on the desktop is that normal? a Plasmoid widget. How can an empty Plasmoid widget be created?
                          yes it is a folder view widget that shows the desktop folder ,which is empty,you can set it to show any folder or just remove it

I saw a linux version of the Light Scribe software on their downloads page a while back. I don't know if there is a ubuntu package but i'm sure there is a debian package since debian is one of the oldest distros in the solar system -I think NASA uses Linux code on their space probes-
                          ya hear it is....... http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadS...nux/index.aspx first one first then the second in the list then the fourth if you like.

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

yes it is a folder view widget that shows the desktop folder ,which is empty,you can set it to show any folder or just remove it

ya hear it is....... http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadS...nux/index.aspx first one first then the second in the list then the fourth if you like.

VINNY
                            Thanks vinny you saved me the trouble of having to go search for the stuff... Unfortunatly This file is 32 bit and i am running 64 bit kubuntu.
                            Last edited by steve7233; Oct 02, 2012, 06:15 PM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Thanks vinny you saved me the trouble of having to go search for the stuff... Unfortunatly This file is 32 bit and i am running 64 bit kubuntu.
                              dose not mater,,,,,,you just may half to install the ia32-libs package first

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

dose not mater,,,,,,you just may half to install the ia32-libs package first

VINNY
                                Where are they?

Comment

Working...
                                X