This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12.04.1 32-bit image is too big!!

I just downloaded the 12.04.1 32-bit image and tried to copy it to a CD, only to discover that it wouldn't fit!! The image size is 703MB but the CD size is 700 MB -- just a little too small. My impression is that the intent of the distribution was to enable it to fit on a CD. What is going on here? Did someone make a mistake? Would I do any better with the 12.04 image?

It's a packaging 'bug'. It should be identified as a note/warning on the download site that the LiveUSB CD is 'oversized'.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 13, 2012, 10:07 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Workaround?

The problem I have is that I'm trying to install Kubuntu 12.04 (not necessarily 12.04.1) on an old computer that can't boot from a DVD. So I really need an image that is no larger than 700MB. I've thought of unpacking the 12.04.1 ISO image, removing a few packages, and creating a new ISO image, but I don't know how to make that image boot properly, or at all. I've tried to find the 12.04 (not 12.04.1) CD but have not been able to.

How do you report a packaging bug like this, since it isn't associated with any package that I can identify?

Comment

You can get the correct 12.04 LiveCD iso (under 700Mb) here.

Comment

The very many ways in which (K/X/L)Ubuntu may be installed : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

There is the MinimalCD: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
          ...the size of the install CD to approximately 5 to 30MB depending on architecture
          Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
          - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Regular versus alternate CD

If I go to the webpage cited (which is the first thing I did), the regular CD shown there is 703MB and has 12.04.1, not 12.04. But the alternate CD is indeed 693 MB. Is there a disadvantage to using the alternate? I assume there is, since otherwise why bother with the standard one? And is there a place to find the actual 12.04 Kubuntu (not Ubuntu) version? Whatever I try, I get bounced to the 12.04.1 version.

Comment

I have the kubuntu 12.04 ISO's on my personal server here:
              http://66.41.157.240/
              Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
              tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

pwabrahams@
                Just scroll down the page; don't click on the Select an image links at the top of the page (those do take you to the 12.04.1 images)

Comment

@Benny, thanks! That looks like the right one.

@Snowhog, I scrolled down as you suggested. But none of the images there seem to be the right one. There are a bunch for Mac, a bunch of alternates, a bunch of DVD images, and a few others (for 12.04). Which one were you thinking of? The one from Benny has the name kubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso.
                  Last edited by pwabrahams; Sep 14, 2012, 10:45 AM.

Comment

pwabrahams@

Well. I opened my eyes a bit wider, and I see that the properly sized iso images are for the 64-bit MAC, not the PC. My bad.

Comment

Some of the ISO names were modified to allow for proper A-Z descending order (i.e. changing the first letter from S to s), although I don't think the kubuntu ISO's had that issue and thus were not changed. I know it is not the best practice, but if I didn't do this the [ Browse Downloads ] sub page was a mess. I would need to modify the PHP script that displays the files for this not to happen, but I haven't gotten around to it.
                      Last edited by benny_fletch; Sep 14, 2012, 11:57 AM. Reason: expanded my explanation
                      Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                      tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Workaround

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1050726 for the workaround, acknowledgement, etc. (for those who have stumbled upon this thread while encountering the same problem).

Comment

For those who desire 'immediate gratification', the direct link to the 'older' 12.04 iso download page that contains the 'correct' sized LiveCD files, click here.

Comment

Excellent. Immediate gratification has always worked for me! (Why am I feeling the need for chocolate right now? Oooops. Wrong forum....)

Comment

I have overburning turned on to allow burning past the fence polls right to the edge of the road...
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X