This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF? Can't boot live CD of 12.04.

I've been having an odd problem booting a 12.04 live cd on my computer.

Box is a 5-yo Dell 2Ghz dual core. I've been running Kubuntu on it since 9.1. Current install is a 10.04 that has been incrementally upgraded over the years through to 12.04. Over the past few months I have been experiencing some odd errors that I hope a fresh install will solve. I have backed up the system and am trying to reinstall 12.04 from new.

I have downloaded the ISO from the bittorent link on Kubuntu.org and burned it to disk. I checked MD5 sums on both the downloaded ISO and the burned CD, all match the MD5 sum on Kubuntu.org.

On bootup, I chose boot from CD on BIOS menu, CDROM spins for a couple of minutes, and computer hangs on black screen with blinking cursor.

Thinking I had a bad burn (despite matching MD5 sums) I tried two separate USB sticks, one made with unetbootin, the other with KDE startup disk creator. Both give "Boot Error".

What am I doing wrong? I have burned many ISO of various distros and have never had this problem before.

Realy sounds like a bad ISO .......I know you checked the MD5 but still maby the torrent is bad .

I will DL the torrent tonight and check it tomarow and see what I get !!

PS I usualy do the direct down load and have never had a prob with it but hay we will see

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

which bit-torrent link did you grab ?

VINNY
      16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        which bit-torrent link did you grab ?
        32 bit desktop:
        http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...86.iso.torrent

Comment

Originally posted by enginemusic View Post
          just made the AMD-64 LOL
          typing from a live USB of it made with the startup disk creator now

will DL the one you have and check it now

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

OK just checked the kubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso torrent from the link you posted.

sorry but it worked for me ,,,,,although a lot slower loading up than the kubuntu-12.04-desktop-amd64.iso torrent it did load and run ??

not shure what trouble you are having ,,,,,,this was a live USB made with startup disk creator as well

you burned the cd as slow as possible didn't you ?

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Heya Vinny,
              Problem definitely on my computer's end. Just tried Mint KDE off of the USB stick, boot error on desktop, boots fine on netbook. I'm out of CDs so will try to purchase more and do a nice slow burn and see if that makes a difference.

Still bummed I can't USB boot. I even set the boot order in the BIOS to start with USB, though the boot menu should bypass that anyway. A stumper!

Just out of curiosity, at what point did GRUB2 come into things? I have successfully booted Live CDs before off this machine, but it was a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by enginemusic View Post
                Heya Vinny,

Just out of curiosity, at what point did GRUB2 come into things? I have successfully booted Live CDs before off this machine, but it was a while ago.
                GRUB2 dose not come in to play on a cd or usb they use SYSLINUX for booting.

now GRUB2 came in a year or two+ ago as the new GRUB for an install Grub2 - Community Ubuntu Documentation

VINNY

16GB RAM

Comment

A pity about no USB boot. I know that Kubuntu iso's never seem to boot on my laptop and a usb made with dd also fails. A usb made with unetbootin works flawlessly and you can set up persistence. Maybe try that? Or does your laptop not support a usb boot device?

Comment

Solved. Tried F6 at the boot options screen and selected "nomodeset". Frustrating that it took this long to figure it out, but we got there. Have now reinstalled but still getting some of the stupid errors I used to get like Knetattach crashing, etc. Now I'm working on re-installing all the software I had on the old box, and restoring my backed up files. Why do I persist?

Comment

Working...
                    X