Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cant install... just sits on splash screen.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant install... just sits on splash screen.

I put the disk in and it gets to the screen where you can run memtest, start Kubuntu, etc.. I start Kubuntu, and it just sits there on a screan with the Kubuntu logo and five small loading dots. Eventually the CD is ejected, but nothing happens.

How do I install Kubuntu?

My main computer is done, so I'm trying to get this one up and running since I do not have a XP disc. I'm new to Linux (tried Ubuntu Unity for a day, but honestly can't stand it).

I did run the memtest and disc test features to see what would happen, but no errors where reported.

Compaq Presario S5000NX
    The RAM is upgraded to 2GB.

Reboot. On the initial menu, look at the bottom of the screen for function key options for Modes or Other Functions (IIRC). One allows you to opt booting using VESA or Safe Graphics. See if this makes it possible to fully boot into the Desktop. If this does work, it indicates a possible graphics card/GPU issue.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, I don't see those

Comment

You don't see:

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok, I tried another Linux distro and it loaded the live disk, but once the desktop came up it was as if only text showed, no background picture, gradient bar, ect.. Hopefully that made since.

Then a message came up and said something faild - can't remember the exact message but it was to do with not being able to fully support the graphics.

As you said, possible graphics card/GPU issue?

I guess that makes two computers I have with issues

Comment

Can you tell us what graphics card it is? Or maybe what your whole system spec's are? There are very few PC's that can not load Kubuntu / Linux these days.
            Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 14, 2012, 03:48 PM.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I would recommend try another live cd of kubuntu or run it from a usb
              because the graphics have nothing to do since I ise run kubuntu on a machine with an intel core 2 duo processor and 2 GB RAM capacity very poor for kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
              X