This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer cannot connect to the internet during installation

My computer is Acer Aspire 15.6" Laptop featuring Intel Core i5-2430M Processor (AS5750-6872) .
    It connects to the internet on Windows 7 successfully (the web browser can access & display all the websites), which means the networking hardware is ok.
    It is rebooted in order to install kubuntu 12.04 by usb thumb drive.
    After the "install kubuntu" icon is clicked, the icon "is connected to the internet" is disabled
    Continuing the installation do not have web browser displaying the websites.
    Please help.
    Last edited by akao; Jun 26, 2012, 06:01 PM.

You don't say how you are connecting - wifi or wired? What is your wifi card type?

I suggest booting to the live desktop session and see if you can connect from there before you install - if you have a wifi password, that is where you would have to enter it.

it helps to have a connection, but it isn't mandatory to install, iirc.

Comment

I can never get my internet connection going during install. I would just install without a connection and then get the internet problem solved later.

Comment

What you can do, is instead of using "Install Kubuntu" option, use the " Try out" option first, then connect to the internet from the desktop and then install Kubuntu from the desktop.
        If you have spare port on your modem, you can use that to temporarily hook your pc up to the modem and then use the "Install Kubuntu" option.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          You don't say how you are connecting - wifi or wired? What is your wifi card type?

I suggest booting to the live desktop session and see if you can connect from there before you install - if you have a wifi password, that is where you would have to enter it.

it helps to have a connection, but it isn't mandatory to install, iirc.
          I connect by wired (ethernet).
          I boot to the live desktop session and has the same problem - cannot connect to the internet.
          Last edited by akao; Jun 26, 2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

What kind of internet service do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
              What kind of internet service do you have?
              Rogers Extreme internet service:
              Up to
              28 Mbps
              download speed

My other computers are connected through a router to the same cable modem and access the internet successfully.

Comment

Boot using the Live Desktop session.

After the desktop is up, open a Konsole and issue

lspci

List what is shown for your wireless networking hardware... make and model if possible. For example, mine shows this:
                02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)
                03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
                You should have something similar to the first line, showing "<somebrand> 802.11b.g.n WiFi Adapter..."

Once we know the brand we can determine the most likely kernel module to load, if it is not already loaded. If drivers for it are loaded then they will show up in the list of modules. Open a Konsole and issue

lsmod

Mine gives (partial listing)
                [quote]
                :~$ lsmod
                Module Size Used by
                rtl8192ce 84826 0
                rtl8192c_common 75767 1 rtl8192ce
                rtlwifi 111202 1 rtl8192ce
                mac80211 506816 3 rtl8192ce,rtl8192c_common,rtlwifi
                cfg80211 205544 2 rtlwifi,mac80211
                [/code]

Once we know what module you should be/are using we can use Konsole commands like
                ifconfig
                iwlist scanning
                iwconfig

to see what needs to be done.

It may be that something as simple as turning on your wifi (on mine its the Fn+F3 key). Or, on the Network-Manager dialog is a checkbox that one can click to "enable wireless". If the checkbox is grayed out or if you check it and the check is quickly removed then perhaps the wifi port is turned off. (Linux may turn it off during boot, Windows may turn it on.)
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 27, 2012, 07:58 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I use pppoeconf to connect. Try this:
                  -Open a terminal (From the menu, go to Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
                  -Type this: sudo pppoeconf
                  -Enter your user password
                  -Answer yes to all questions and enter your internet username and password when asked

Comment

Working...
                  X