Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange actions on old laptop (Advent QC430)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange actions on old laptop (Advent QC430)

I have 12.04 32-bit installed to a USB stick and tried it out on my elderly Advent QC430 (rebadged Quanta TW3M) ... Intel Celeron 430, 1.73Ghz, 1GB ram; MESA DRI Intel 945GM graphics. This machine has run Kubuntu 8.x through 10.04 in it's time, without hassles, and currently runs Knoppix 7.0. However, the startup for 12.04 has a peculiar sequence. On first boot, I get a blank grey box with a border at the bottom left of an otherwise black screen ... about 50 pixels H by 15 pixels V, 2 pixels border, on a 1280x800 display ... from which I can do two things. Either leave it alone until a timeout after about 30seconds, then the boot will run until I get the "Try or Install" choice screen; or press a return, which clears the box but leaves a black screen, no timeout that I have found up to 2 minutes, but a second "return" will start things going up to the same "Try or Install" choice screen.

However, in both sequences, there is an unexpected change whilst the Kubuntu gearwheel is displayed ... after a few seconds of the five dots marching enthusiastically, the dots stop progressing across the screen and a red LED lights up behind the headphone socket, after which the machine seems to go into molasses mode and everything takes an age to proceed. I have never known such a slow Linux USB on this system.

I have never seen the red LED before, running any OS, and a lack of info about the motherboard on this machine means that I have no idea what it signifies. It remains on all the time the 12.04 USB is running.

I am also puzzled as the the two "return" keystrokes required to get the boot running. Obviously a couple of questions need answers and I am probably selecting a default to each ... so has anyone any idea what the questions are and what the answers are that I select .. probably what the boot assumes for the timeout start but it would be useful to know ... but for that matter, why do I only get the small blank grey box instead of a text display? Or the black second screen? I am loath to try loading 12.04 to the HD on this machine until I am sure that it can cope ... old, tough, but maybe no longer able to run Kubuntu? It would be a pity.

Suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
    "You, sir are no gentleman!"
    "I knew there was something about me that I liked."
    Commander Vimes, Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Linux User (# 368182) since 1996
    Unix initiated on SCO Xenix from 1992 <Pobody's nerfect>

This may be off target but I understand that a default 12.04 download only contains the PAE kernel versions which I read won't work properly with my laptops processor, an Intel Pentium M. My solution to that was to do an apt-get upgrade to 12.04 and as a result the new version continued to use non-PAE kernel. Don't know whether your processor is similarly affected but if it is you may well get a better outcome (as I did) if you start with 10.04 and install 12.04 in this way:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...buntu/10.04LTS

HTH

Comment

I am not quite sure if this is a blanket PAE issue, it would give an error before the install disk even booted.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-t...n-non-pae.html
      this has some options to get around this in a somewhat simple fashion.

Comment

The non-PAE ISO of Ubuntu still sets the red LED <on> and the machine runs slow, so maybe something other than the PAE problem. I will try using 10.04 and upgrading .. this is what I will have to do with several other machines anyway, so it will be good testing practice, especially since all of these machines run with the netbook version of the window manager which their respective users wish to retain, so I have to confirm that an LTS upgrade won't change that ... they have also all been changed from Open Office to Libre Office, but not yet upgraded to the latest Java. That is one of the other problems to fix because recent versions of Firefox disable the older JRE as a security risk.

What I would like to do, separately, is try out the mini-ISO network install ... but I do not know how to load the mini-iso to a USB ... there is no CD drive in the Advent unit, it failed long ago ... all the utilities I have tried for writing an ISO (Brasero, K3B, USB creator, etc) either do not recognise the USB as a destination, or the mini-iso file as a valid source, or both. How do I write the mini-iso file to a USB as a bootable entity, please?

Comment

OK, cracked the mini-iso ... found that I still had Unetbootin on one machine.

Comment

Despite my best efforts, cannot get rid of the molasses-mode operation, which seems to go cap-in-hand with the mysterious red LED behind the headphones socket ... have reverted to 10.04 with all upgrades, waiting for 12.04.1 to trigger an LTS upgrade and see what happens.

Sic biscuit disintegrat.

Comment

Working...
            X