X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altenative install cannot mount cd

I am trying to install kubuntu for the first time,
    I was having issues with the desktop image as screen unsupported resolution during install so I am trying to use the alternate

The flash drive boots I select language, keyboard etc then it scans hardware and gives an error unable to mount cd. There is no cd drive installed.

How can I get it to see the usb drive?

cjam:

I was having issues with the desktop image as screen unsupported resolution during install
    It is rare to get that sort of error message. What machine are you installing it on? Is it very old, or very new? Is this a laptop or a desktop? What monitor, and what video card?

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Another thing always worth checking with installation images (CD or USB) is whether the image downloaded is complete - it would be a good idea to check the md5sum of the iso you downloaded. See HowToMD5SUM - Community Ubuntu Documentation and check against UbuntuHashes - Community Ubuntu Documentation.
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
        cjam:

It is rare to get that sort of error message. What machine are you installing it on? Is it very old, or very new? Is this a laptop or a desktop? What monitor, and what video card?

Frank.
        it is a msi e350 (amd m1 itx) with 4gb ram and an nvidia gt520 graphics outputing to a LG tv.
        It is something about the hdmi that causes the resolution issue and when I switch between vga and hdmi it goes to full HD but the writing and appearance seems to be set huge although they are shown as tiny in the settings.

I have had ubuntu 11.10 working on this machine before I had issues during the install of ubuntu 12.04 and its slide show (I know there's a fix but I cant get that to work either). Probably not the best time to try a change when it will be using the same installer.

I have got a hold of a copy of kubuntu 11.10 amd64 which I am going to try and then upgrade. If that doesn't work I will reload the iso and try the hash check as per secretcode

Comment

This doesn't help with the cdrom issue, but I think the screen resolution is due to using a TV as a monitor. I believe that some do not report the EDID information correctly and/or your version of xorg is unable to correctly read that missing or incorrect data.

If 11.10 had no problem detecting and configuring the lg tv during the install, upgrading should be fine in terms of graphics as these settings should not change (In theory) during the process.
          Last edited by claydoh; Jun 05, 2012, 12:59 AM.

Comment

OK, this all begins to sound familiar....

I have a old Dell Optiplex that I am using as a media computer in the living room. It is connected via HDMI to our flatscreen TV. I got no video output over HDMI when installing. I had to connect an analog monitor to the box to install. Once the install was done, THEN I connected the flatscreen via HDMI.

I made the mistake of connecting the flatscreen with both the vga input and the HDMI at the same time. The nVidia software detected the flatscreen twice, once as an analog device, and once as a digitial device. I could select and use either with the nVidia software. However, the nVidia softare would not give me full resolution over the digital interface. However, once I disconnected the analog connection, and left only the HDMI connection in place, I then got full 1080p on the flatscreen. This was with 11.04 IIUC, but now with 11.10.

Now, the above is likely hardware dependent, but it does illustrate that some weird things can happen when trying to install using a flatscreen TV as a monitor.

So, can the install be done with another monitor (perhaps even a plain vga monitor), then disconnect that monitor, connect the TV via HDMI, and then try to boot? Does this solve the unsupported resolution issue?

FYI, I still don't get the splash screen or any of the boot information via HDMI. It seems that the HDMI out is not enabled until a lot of the boot process is already taken care of. That is why I am suggesting an install with a plain vga monitor. I got all the boot information that way.

Frank.
            Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

got through the install with 11.10 without the hdmi plugged in and I again get full hd resolution with certain things greatly enlarged. I agree this is probably due to the TV rather than an actual software issue.

I am going to try my pc monitor but this could cause more issues as it is a 2560 x 1440 and requires a dual dvi connection.

I haven't found anything about the mount cd issue when installing with alternate but if my pc monitor doesnt work I'll borrow a friends vga monitor at the weekend

Comment

Working...
              X