This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10.04 KPackageKit offers no Upgrade

SOLVED -- The Kubuntu web page for upgrading 10.04 Lucid to 12.04 Precise advises:

"Run KPackageKit and go to Software Updates, you will be offered a link to Upgrade to 12.04 LTS "

I've been updating my 10.04 installation as packages are released, almost every day -- this process works fine. But when I run KPackageKit (with a Dell x86_64 machine) and go to Software Updates, I don't get the upgrade offering message -- nothing! Howcome?
    Last edited by pablo173; Jun 03, 2012, 12:08 PM.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/12539...4-to-12-04-lts

One way to try to get around this is to go to your Software Sources in Muon and change the upgrade settings from LTS only to all releases.

I'll have to see if we can get the announcement etc with this info noted.

Comment

Changed the settings to "All releases" and I am offered an upgrade to 10.10, but no jump to 12.04. (Currently running 10.04.4)
      Programmers, with their inbuilt sense of order and discipline should really be running the world.

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

Hmm.. it looks like LTS upgraders will not get notifications until the first maintenance release of 12.04

hit alt-f2 and enter
          Code:
          do-release-upgrade -d
          /me edits the wiki page and release notes.......

Comment

claydoh:

That might be better done from a full terminal. I ran it from alt-f2 but got no feedback on what was going on. I then opened a terminal and tried again. Got the message that it could not get an exclusive lock, so evidently I had two processes running. Restarted the machine. Now it won't boot. I get a message that it can't write to /tmp.

No big deal, as I can just reinstall, but it looks like I trashed the 10.04 install that I had hoped to upgrade.

Frank.

OK, before throwing in the towel, I booted to a root terminal as the gui won't open. I ran the command there again. It ran successfully. Tried booting into my user account again -- same problem. I have the root account enabled, so I booted into the root account through the gui. Openened kpackagekit, and it found only one update -- Google Chrome. No offer to update to 12.04.

Back to you.

-FB
            Last edited by Frank616; May 25, 2012, 05:11 PM.
            Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

claydoh:

OK, kept trying. I booted to the root gui, and ran the command again from a root konsole. This time it ran, and updated my sources to precise. However, the upgrade failed for another reason: This is an eeepc901 with a 4 GB system SSD. Not enough room to complete the upgrade. However, it looks like the upgrade would have taken place had there been enough room on the system SSD.

Again, however, it might be better to run the command from a root konsole rather than alt-F2, just so the user knows that something is happening.

Frank.
              Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Working...
              X