X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 12.04 Installation crashes

I had 11.04 working.
    I tried to install 12.04 over it using a CD.
    It got to about 20% of "loading files" and crashed.
    Suggested that this was due to dodgy cd so I burnt another.
    It crashed at about the same place.
    11.04 no longer boots up.
    Tried to reformat hard drive in windows XP but although the bios see the drive as a slave XP doesn't.
    Tried another drive which had Ubuntu on it and installation crashes at same place although I could reformat with XP.
    I haven't been using Kubuntu for a while but as there was a new version I thought i would give it another go.
    I seem to remember that I had problems upgrading or installing over an existing version last time I tried.
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Regards
    Don
    Last edited by DonV; May 01, 2012, 07:06 AM.

Originally posted by DonV View Post
    I had 11.04 working.
    I tried to install 12.04 over it using a CD.
    It got to about 20% of "loading files" and crashed.
    Suggested that this was due to dodgy cd so I burnt another.
    It crashed at about the same place.
    11.04 no longer boots up.
    Tried to reformat hard drive in windows XP but although the bios see the drive as a slave XP doesn't.
    Tried another drive which had Ubuntu on it and installation crashes at same place although I could reformat with XP.
    I haven't been using Kubuntu for a while but as there was a new version I thought i would give it another go.
    I seem to remember that I had problems upgrading or installing over an existing version last time I tried.
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Regards
    Don
    Did you try to run 12.04 from the CD before you tried to install it? It sounds like to me that you have a hardware conflict somewhere. When you installed, did you select to update it at the same time? Try to install it from the CD without connecting to net and updating at the same time. It might have a problem with wi-fi (if you have it).

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      I am trying to install it on its own drive as a stand alone system. Internet connection is via wifi which is not connected at the installation stage.
      It ran ok from the cd when I tried it. As I said 11.04 was working so I don't think that there are any conflicts.

Comment

Kubuntu runs fine from the CD.
        Tried installing from the desktop. Tried both hard drives, with and without the internet connected.
        End result same whatever I do. It doesn't crash as before. It appears to go throught the installation process and ejects the cd but on booting from the hard drive the screen goes black as the icons start to appear in the centre of the screen and I am left with the cursor, which I can move, and a black screen.
        Don

Comment

At the prompt type the following:
          Code:
          startx

Comment

Somehow I got to a screen that allowed me to boot up in recovery mode. went through a few things on that and rebooted and got it at least booting up.
            Wireless connection keeps randomly dropping out, I can't find any way of reconnecting so system requires reboot to get it working again.
            Probably try a new installation today sometime.
            Thanks for the tips.
            Don

Comment

I've found from previous failed installs on my netbook that using the alternate-cd is the way to go.
              Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Working...
              X