This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-nother can't upgrade thread

I've tried everything.. I got this error when I tried to upgrade to the pre-release and now I get it trying to upgrade to the final release.

Code:
    An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade: 
    E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be 
    caused by held packages. 

This can be caused by: 
    * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu 
    * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu 
    * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu
    I've uninstalled all of the packages that I could find that weren't standard packages. Not to say there might be something in there.. but I can't find it

I tried following the directions here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CleanUpgrade, but the list generated by the custom filter includes things like "bash" and "coreutils" and many many packages with the little ubuntu icon beside them. All of them from ubuntu dev team.. I'm pretty sure that uninstalling all of that will trash my system.

Disable any/all non-standard repositories you have. Then in a console:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    This will ensure that your current version of Kubuntu is fully dist-upgraded. Are you running 12.04 or an earlier release?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just found these instructions: http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/04/t...ch+Drive-in%29
      The first option of upgrading from a Live 12.04 CD looks really easy. Does anyone know if this works with Kubuntu?
      "Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
      Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself."

Comment

Snowhog.. all packages are upgraded properly, and have been.

Code:
        Fetched 19.4 MB in 17s (1,125 kB/s)                                                                                                                                                         
        Reading package lists... Done
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree       
        Reading state information... Done
        Calculating upgrade... Done
        0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
        As I am writing this Apper has just popped up to tell me there is a new release 12.04.. I am using 11.10 now. I've tried upgrading several times.. it fails with the error in the first post.

Comment

You can drop to a tty session with Ctrl+Alt+F1 and after logging in, type:
          Code:
          sudo kdm stop
          sudo do-release-upgrade
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I don't know what difference that would make bash is bash.

I'm not new to Linux, or bash. I started using Linux in 96 and used to write gentoo ebuilds.. back when I had time.. heh..

I've never taken time to learn apt (python source I mean) mainly because I switched to kubuntu to get away from spending so much time with my OS.

The other day I wanted to try the pre release so I ran do-release-upgrade -d and it threw an exception the same as above. I assumed it was because of the pre release status and didn't feel like trying to sort it out.. now it's throwing the same exception. I'm doing some web dev stuff this weekend and don't want to start trying to debug apt (do-release-upgrade is just a front end for apt libraries). It's just to big and cumbersome to get into (I don't have time, or the desire). So I'm hoping someone has more knowledge on the subject than I do.

I could back everything up and do a fresh install, but that would take a lot of time, and I'd be sure to miss some setting somewhere.. lot's of stuff apache2, mysql, zoneminder.. etc.. etc..
            Last edited by deathguppie; Apr 28, 2012, 05:26 PM.

Comment

@utherpendragonfly - Thanks for the suggestion of trying out the Live CD. I'm also having the same problem with my two systems refusing to upgrade. I'll burn a CD and give it a try!

Comment

The Kubuntu CD has no option for upgrading. Just in case someone else is looking at this thread for information. At this time the only answer for this problem that I know of is a full system wipe, and re install.

Still hoping for an answer however..

Comment

Originally posted by deathguppie View Post
                  The Kubuntu CD has no option for upgrading. Just in case someone else is looking at this thread for information. At this time the only answer for this problem that I know of is a full system wipe, and re install.

Still hoping for an answer however..
                  Drat! I was hoping it was the same as Ubuntu Live CD but couldn't remember. Guess I'll just do the fresh install when the time comes.
                  "Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
                  Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself."

Comment

Try editing /etc/apt/sources.lst by replacing all instances of "oneiric" to "precise" (disable non-standard repos as well), then sudo apt-get update && sudeo apt-get dist-upgrade away. doing it from outside X would be the best, but I haven't anyreal problems runnig it from Konsole.
                    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

One can upgrade from an Alternate cd (not the live installer)

One thing to try as well, and I am assuming that the upgrade tool is prompting for the upgrade but fails from the error message, is to look at uninstalling any multiarch packages, often installed when installing wine or skype as they need 32bit compatibility bits. These packages end in :i386, such as "libasound2:i386".

if you have skype or wine installed, you might try uninstalling them, and then you can uninstall any ia23libs packages by running
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get autoremove
                      then try updating and running the upgrade

I do not know if temporarily disabling multiarch will help with this if it is the ia32libs causing this one, but to do so you can temporarily rename the file
                      /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch and try updating, then see if you can run the upgrade

Code:
                      sudo mv /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch.backup && sudo apt-get update
                      I had this when testing an upgrade in beta1 or 2, but hadn't seen it since.

Comment

FWIW, I upgraded my laptop "the old way" with a CD, but my main system would not indicate that a release upgrade was available.

I checked Muon settings, and it was set to only show LTS releases (even though this was supposed to be LTS), so I set it to show all releases, and the system now recognizes 12.04, and I'm doing the upgrade now.

Bug? Fixed? or should it be reported?

John

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMoore View Post
                          FWIW, I upgraded my laptop "the old way" with a CD, but my main system would not indicate that a release upgrade was available.

I checked Muon settings, and it was set to only show LTS releases (even though this was supposed to be LTS), so I set it to show all releases, and the system now recognizes 12.04, and I'm doing the upgrade now.

Bug? Fixed? or should it be reported?

John
                          This is a separate problem from the OP, but look at this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...es/+bug/944876

testers needed!

Comment

Working...
                          X