This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation Stops

I have downloaded 12.04 64 bit and tried to install it. I select the partition were I had kubuntu 11.10 (gone now...) format it bla bla and it gets to the point were is copying files and asks for timezone. The first time I tried to install it I selected London as time zone and pressed next, nothing happened but files were still copying. It destroyed my Grub2 boot too. Second time I waited for files to finish copying and then insert time zone. Nothing happens I click on next and seems like is thinking but nothing happens.

Any help plz I really want to try this new Kubuntu.

Note: if I download the 32bits one will I be able to use my 8gb ram? I really need them as I run lot of emulation software such as GNS3 and virtual box
    Kubuntu 11.10 was working, the only problem I had is that the updates were not installing... freezing too like pretending is doing something but nothing happening just like the installation process...

Computer specs:
    CPU AM3 Phenom II 1055T @ 3,5
    Ram 8gb @ 1666
    Primary Hard drive (for grub) SSD M9
    Secondary Hard Drive (for kubuntu) Hitachi 500gb
    Gtx 470
    MoBo: asus crosshair V bios 1003

PD: the overclocking is more than stable, been with it for 6 months

Any help plz?

Comment

Have you tried the alternative cd? It generally works more reliably then the live cd.

Comment

I was given an Acer 3690 laptop as part of my efforts to get laptops into the hands of people who need them but can't afford one due to economic issues. It has one cpu and 1 GB of RAM, with an 80GB HD. The wireless is a broadcom 4318. The video is an NVidia chip. I decided to install Lucid because of the last two components.

The 32b LiveUSB booted up fine and all appeared well, except that the wifi wasn't recognized. I suspected that and plugged in the eth cable. The cable wasn't recognized! I downloaded the DVD 10.04.4 version and burned it. Same problem. I decided to install it anyway and work it out on the HD. Half way through the install it failed. I redid the LiveUSB and it also failed at the same spot, on reboot.

I booted my GParted disk and took a look. The HD lacked a boot flag on the primary partition. I put that on and retried. Same problem. So, using Gparted I deleted all the partitions (which included the phantom Windows recovery drive and the MBR) I created an empty partition formatted it and added the boot flag. Failed again.

A big problem was that the failure was occurring within 5 minutes after starting the install. I've never seen the system base files install that fast, so I assumed that the GUI installer was having a problem. NVidia?

So, I booted the DVD and selected the console install. It went through all the steps, beginning with the choice of partitions, name, password, etc..., and the other tasks I knew it should go through, especially installing all the files one by one.

When I rebooted I was looking at the Lucid KDE 4.5.4 screen. I plugged in the eth cable it got an immediate internet connection. I activated the broadcom 4318 modem and it turned on as well. The Nvidia chip gives Stellarium 30 fps.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Alternative cd hmm, I will try on pendrive using live usb.

GreyGeek I cant delete all my partitions, I need my windows big time. But one thing, I have 4 physical hard-drives, C is and ssd where I have windows and Kubuntu recognizes it as sda with 2 other hardrives 1/2, one very small that is like 100mb that windows uses for something which i cant remember and the other bit is the actual harddrive where i have the OS. Then I have a second harddrive with 100gb for kubuntu and 10gb for swapping. So what I wanted to ask is, Im installing Kubuntu on sdb2 and swap is sdb3 but when it comes to installing grub2 I select sda only(not 1 neither 2) could that be the problem? Cos my installation fails when installing grub2.

Thanks a lot for u replies

Comment

Originally posted by Yuzepe View Post
            Alternative cd hmm, I will try on pendrive using live usb.

GreyGeek I cant delete all my partitions, I need my windows big time. But one thing, I have 4 physical hard-drives, C is and ssd where I have windows and Kubuntu recognizes it as sda with 2 other hardrives 1/2, one very small that is like 100mb that windows uses for something which i cant remember and the other bit is the actual harddrive where i have the OS. Then I have a second harddrive with 100gb for kubuntu and 10gb for swapping. So what I wanted to ask is, Im installing Kubuntu on sdb2 and swap is sdb3 but when it comes to installing grub2 I select sda only(not 1 neither 2) could that be the problem? Cos my installation fails when installing grub2.

Thanks a lot for u replies
            /dev/sda is the physical hard drive, /dev/sda{1,2,3,4} are the partitions on /dev/sda, you should install grub to the drive directly (/dev/sda) and not the partitions.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
              /dev/sda is the physical hard drive, /dev/sda{1,2,3,4} are the partitions on /dev/sda, you should install grub to the drive directly (/dev/sda) and not the partitions.
              I see, One doubt solved ^^ Thx a lot james147

Comment

Working...
              X