X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Detecting 1st Hard Drive

Hello Guys,

I just booted up Kubuntu CD to install, I have two hard drives on my machine with different sizes.

First Drive:
    sda1 -> Widows [NTFS]
    sda2 -> extended
    sda5 -> linux [swap]
    sda6 -> / [ext4]
    sda7 -> /home [ext4]

Second Drive:
    sdab1 -> [NTFS]

In installation it only shows the second drive. When I exit the installation and launch "KDE Partition Manager" it shows both.

I want to install it on the first drive to replace the old installation on sda6.

Previously I had a problem with this machine and had to disable [dmraid] when installing. I think I wasn't able to detect any of the drives previously and had two identical drives at that time.

Thanks,
    Regards.
    Last edited by 0x00FE; Apr 28, 2012, 05:12 AM.

Have you tried the manual partitioning option in the installer?

Comment

@james147 Yes, this is what I'm actually doing.

UPDATE: I tried Kubuntu & Ubuntu 12.04 same problem.
      Then I grabbed an old CD Ubuntu 11.04 (Which I do not remember I had issue with previously) and discovered the same issue. Only this time, the "Boot loader option" (Device for boot loader installation I can see three options:
      /dev/sdb
      /dev/sdb1
      /dev/sda <--- I didn't see that in 12.04

So even with the old Ubuntu I cannot the 1st drive in which I want to install the OS but somehow I can see it in the boot loader installation location.

Comment

Try the Alternate installation CD -- it uses a different character-mode installer.

Comment

@dibl thanks! It worked.
          I just installed it but now facing another problem, I'll post it in another thread.

I would still like to know why it didn't work from the Desktop CD. It used to work previously, I really do not know what did I change in the hardware. BIOS update maybe?

Comment

The ubiquity installer has always been a little dodgy with certain BIOS and drive combinations. The first computer I installed Kubuntu on (2005 or 2006) had both an IDE and a SATA drive in it, and I wanted Kubuntu on the SATA drive. Bottom line -- it was not possible with the Live CD, until I disconnected the IDE drive. I later discovered that the Alternate CD does not suffer the problem. I do suspect that the BIOS is involved with the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X