X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove or Change user ID and Password

Hi Folks:
    I want to tranfer the ownership of my laptop to someone else. He wants to maintain the current set-up of the sytem, dual booting into WinXP and Kubuntu 12.04. Aside from cleanig up my private files, how should I go with removing or changing my user ID and password after creating a new user account for him?
    Thanks!

After setting up the new user account and adding it to the administrators group, log in with that new account and then delete your account.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      After setting up the new user account and adding it to the administrators group, log in with that new account and then delete your account.
      Got it.
      Thanks!

Comment

Don't forget to do the same on the XP side. Create the new account, log in, delete the old. Plus your files.

One thing you should know: deleting files doesn't actually make them go away. The disk blocks containing the files are simply added back to the pool of available space. You probably should run some utilities to wipe the free space of all data.

For Windows, use SDelete. Only one pass is sufficient:
        Code:
        C:> [B]sdelete -p 1 -c c:[/B]
        Repeat for any other Windows volumes.

For Linux, install the package secure-delete. Then run sfill. Again, only one pass is sufficient:
        Code:
        [b]sudo tune2fs -m 0 /dev/sda1

sudo sfill -llzv /

sudo tune2fs -m 5 /dev/sda1[/b]
        The above assumes that you have mounted your root file system (/) on /dev/sda1. Repeat the above for each partition that contains a Linux filesystem.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Don't forget to do the same on the XP side. Create the new account, log in, delete the old. Plus your files.

One thing you should know: deleting files doesn't actually make them go away. The disk blocks containing the files are simply added back to the pool of available space. You probably should run some utilities to wipe the free space of all data.
          Hi Steve:
          Thanks for the guidance. I will do!
          It is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X